Chapter 23: Valentine's Day

Our alarm sounded, and Tristan rolled over and coughed. He moaned when he moved, and he sounded really sick.

"Baby, are you not feeling well?"

"Oh, shit, no, not at all. I feel like I have been ran over by a Mack truck. Today was not the day I needed to get sick."

"I'm sorry, baby. Is there anything I can get for you or do for you? I can stay home and take care of you."

"No, no way, baby girl. You go take a shower and get ready for school. I am just going to sleep today. I will make some soup and tea when I get up."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes, baby, I am, and I promise I will be fine." She got out of bed.

"Okay, sweetheart." She sounded down.

He knew why because today was their first Valentine's Day. He wasn't really sick; he was just playing sick. He had to go pick up her gifts, and he couldn't do it with her. He had plans for a really romantic night together.

He heard the shower start, and he rolled over. He would play sick until she left then he had to go pick up her gifts. He had ordered a bunch of balloons and roses. It was going to take him a few trips to pick up everything.

He heard the shower turn off and her step out. She was talking to someone, and he listened to the conversation.

"No, he's sick today. I'm sure he would have loved to have joined you for dinner, but he is really sick. Looks like I am going to be spending our first Valentine's taking care of my man."

"I know, but that's my job as his girlfriend. We may be eating chicken noodle soup for dinner. It doesn't even matter as long as we are together. I got him a gift last week. I don't even know if he will feel like opening it. Okay, bye. Yes, we will eat lunch together. Okay, bye, Paris." She hung up.

"Hey, baby. Will you grab me some medicine on your way home?"

"Yeah, do we not have any?"

"No, we don't. I need theraflu. I think that I have the flu."

"Yeah, of course, I will grab some as soon as my last class ends. Are you sure you don't want me to stay home with you?"

"I'm sure, baby. Thank you for offering, but it really would be a waste for you to miss school because all I am going to be doing is sleeping."

"I know, but I just feel bad for leaving you here sick."

"No reason to feel bad, baby girl. Do I feel hot to you? I am sweating like crazy, and it feels so hot."

She easily placed the back of her hand on his forehead and his chest. "No, you feel fine, maybe a little clammy. Do you want me to turn the air on for you?"

"Yes, please. I will turn it off before you get home so you won't freeze."

"Okay, baby." She went down the hall and turned the air on. She came back and got her clothes on. She grabbed her purse and bag. "Alright, I am leaving. If you need me, call me."

"Okay, babe. Thank you so much, and have a good day at school. I love you and Rory. Happy Valentine's Day. I would kiss you, but don't want to get you sick." 

"Thank you, Tristan. Happy Valentine's Day to you as well, and I love you. You are very welcome, my handsome, poor, sick baby."

He hated having to lie to her, but it was the only way he could do what he needed to do for their special night.

He heard the door shut, and he waited for her to pull away before he turned the air off. He climbed out of bed after three minutes. He looked out the window, and she was gone. He turned the air off.