chapter-41"The Wedding"

*

POV by Ciashi

I have never been this nervous before, that I'am right now climbing the stairs in this lehenga.

In front of me, there is a beautiful mandap decorated with real colorful roses between the water. I haven't even been able to look at the beauty of that beautiful mandap, which looks no less than a paradise. When I saw Aarti Didi and the other girls, I thought, "What is there to be so nervous about? You just have to put on the jay mala by walking four steps."

But no, when you get married yourself, you understand how the mind is shaken, there is a strange emptiness in the stomach, neither hunger nor thirst, no interest in anything.

When it was time to take those four steps, I realized that these are not just four steps, this is my journey so far, which will change completely after four steps.

In these four steps, I have to leave behind all my things, and accept new things, new peaple, new memories.

After crossing these four steps, I will have new responsibilities, new expectations that I have to fulfill.

In fact, this is not just four steps.

Does the groom not feel the same way as the bride?

In front of me, Ramanji is standing, looking like a prince, not exactly my dream, but all the single girls standing here, who must be thinking that if I were in their place instead of this brown lehenga with jay mala.

I don't know how many thousands of girls have prayed for Ramanji, how many have folded their hands in temples, but God did not listen to any of them. And broke their hearts so badly.

And I am the one who did not want to marry him, or maybe I still do not want to marry him.

Why does God always do this, that he gives everything to those who do not deserve it, and those who do deserve it, they get nothing.

What have I done that Ramanji wants to marry me leaving all the girls in the world?

I am watching him, in white shervani with brown pagdi, right in front of my eyes, with a warm smile on his face, his eyes are only fixed on me.

In the glow of Ramanji's face and the aura of his ange, my makeup, floral lehenga, jewelry all seem faded.

I am sure that all the people here will be taking their eyes off me, but not from Ramanji.

I am sure that everyone present here will be cursing their eyeslashes for blinking again and again in a few seconds, and why this is becoming an barriar while looking at Ramanji.

My heart starts beating fast as I get closer to Ramanji, holding the heavy lehenga. I feel like I want to turn back.

With a pounding heart, I put the jay mala around Ramanji's neck, and a few seconds later, Ramanji did the same. Seeing the jay mala, a big smile appears on his face.

For a moment, I feel like he is asking me something with his eyes, or maybe he wants to say something, but I don't understand what.

People surrounded us with roses. The environment was filled with the sound of everyone's happiness and applause. The sky started to sound like fireworks. The falling rose petals on us looked so beautiful that they could not be compared to anything else. For a moment, it seemed like I had forgotten all the tensions, doubts, and nervousness.

And why not forget? Everything was so beautiful under this open sky, such a beautiful place and decoration I had never seen before.

Everyone's eyes were only on us.

After that, many ceremonies took place. Ramanji filled my forehead with vermilion, we took pheras, Mamiji and Mamaji did kanyadan. one by one, as Panditji and family members told us, we silently nodded our heads and did everything.

In just a few moments, all the wedding ceremonies are over, and the time has come for my bidai. This moment feels as if my feet are not moving at all, I'm unable to walk. Tears rolling down my eyes, and it seems impossible to leave everything behind.

My eyes are filled with tears, and my mamaji holds me in his arms. He tries to wipe away his tears, holding them back in his eyes, thinking that it will appear as if he's not crying, but I know he is as saddened as I am.

Kanu, Aarti didi, and Kanu are also emotional. Aarti didi hugs me, reluctant to let go. Mamiji doesn't seem affected much; she keeps advising me on how to handle my new life in front of everyone.

Drenched in tears and wearing wet bangles, I sit in the car. However, my sobbing doesn't cease. As the car moves forward, my heart beats faster. Looking back through the window, I wish someone would speak up and delay the departure, giving me a little more time with my family. But no one is coming.

I have to manage my tears and emotions alone, or so I thought until a white handkerchief appears in front of me. It's Ramanji, sitting beside me, silently observing. Without saying a word, he hands me the handkerchief, and I use it to wipe away my tears.

The car becomes silent, with only the sound of my sobs and the jingling of my jewelry echoing in the peaceful atmosphere. Apart from Ramanji and me, there's only the driver. While the driver focuses on the road, Ramanji checks his phone. I feel like he glances at me occasionally before returning his attention to the phone screen.

It's the first time Ramanji and I have spent so much time together. Trying to compose ourselves, I notice that Ramanji is sitting at an appropriate distance, perhaps to ensure I don't feel uncomfortable.

Up until now, the wedding and ceremonies had left us in a daze, but now I'm gradually regaining consciousness. I realize that my wedding has taken place. Wait...! I am now married. The man sitting next to me is my husband, and I am going to my in-laws, leaving my entire past behind.

Now, numerous restrictions will be imposed on me. I'll have to consult my husband for every step, just like Aarti didi, who never did anything without asking Suraj Jiju. I'll have to mold my husband's preferences into my own. I'll have to be mindful not to hurt Ramanji in any way. I need to be attentive to Ramanji's moods, give up my hobbies, and focus solely on serving him. I must always be aware of Ramanji's needs.

Can I do all this? What if I can't?

All these thoughts were swirling in my mind when suddenly the car comes to a halt. Looking out of the window, I see a very luxurious mansion decorated with flowers and lights. This sight reminds me of Kanu's words when he described my in-laws' house as a grand and beautiful place.

As I step out of the car, various types of firecrackers create sounds and smells, filling the entire environment. All the family members are standing at the door, welcoming me with smiles. I never thought that I would receive such a grand welcome.

Buadadi is standing with an Aarti thali, and Lakshay is standing beside Dadi Maa with his hand on her shoulder. The entire family is genuinely very lovely.