Chapter 10

Meanwhile, Hera was laughing and joking around with Omega who was explaining past pranks she and Wrecker had done. Their papa was smiling down at them while Tech stood beside Echo, Hunter and Cody, the four discussing the facility. Their gifts were magnificent but nothing was more special than Echo’s prosthetics. The sound of an emergency vehicle had Cody turning only to gasp as Mayday’s car slammed its brakes on in front of the group before he climbed out. 

“Mayday, what’s wrong?” Cody asked only to pale as Mayday pulled out his green medical bag and ran for the doors. Cody chased after him as Cody’s emergency phone went off alerting him that someone needed help, Tech and Hunter chased after them only to find a sight. 

On the floor of the public bathroom was Crosshair, he was flat out on his back while Mayday, Cody and some other individual attached medical equipment to his multicoloured chest. 

“Oh god, he said he was fine. Why didn’t I listen to the little shit?” Mayday cursed, Cody took some equipment and pushed the iv into the younger man's arm. “Why didn’t he take his bloody meds?” Mayday added, Cody patted his arm. 

“You got him?” Cody asked, Mayday nodded scooping up his unconscious younger brother while Cody held the IV and medical bag. Together the two moved towards the door in which Hunter held open while Tech moved closer, Cody passed him the bag, his son taking it with ease. 

“MAMA!” Hera cried out seeing her unconscious mother, sobs escaped her mouth as she was wrapped up by a confused Wrecker. 

“Tech, climb in. I need someone to hold the IV while I drive and Mayday holds Cross” Cody ordered his son, Tech nodded, taking the bag from the passenger seat. 

“We will meet you at the hospital,” Hunter muttered. 

“Don’t we are going to the military one, there would be no point. Just get yourselves home. Rex, can help you with anything” Cody exclaimed, they could only nod watching Cody back out of the drive in the military car, which had added sirens. 

“This is Commander Cody radioing in support. We have a Rare Cardiac Event requesting a Medical Team on standby, the patient is Commander Crosshair, Elite Squad member. Believe lung puncture from broken ribs and possible heart attack. Please have CMO Kix and send Captain Jesse to the provided coordinates” 

“Understood Commander, General Obi-wan is waiting for your arrival. Sir, he has informed me to tell you to take a deep breath. They are waiting” 

Cody ignored the last part while Tech smiled knowing his father was always worried about his mother.

“What’s got you smiling?” Cody questioned. 

“Nothing, just even if you don’t see, father all the time. He still worries for you even when he could be in the middle of a warzone and you safe at home. He would still radio in to check on you” Tech explained, Cody smiled patting Tech’s leg while pulling into the military base. The two exited the car only for Crosshair to be placed on a stretcher and Mayday to chase after him. Tech felt strange standing in the military corridors, Cody made sure he remained close at all times since he was a civilian. The two sat around a waiting room where an anxious Mayday was, it had been three hours. Tech was snoozing in Cody’s lap while his mother tried to remain awake. Mayday was wide awake listening to some music and playing something on his phone. A pair of footsteps entered the room revealing to be Obi-wan who smiled at the sight, he grabbed his coat and placed it over Tech while he leaned down to kiss Cody’s hair. 

“Ahem, I thought I said professional on base” Obi-wan whipped around to see a long-term friend. 

“Sure, when you stick to the rules with Commander Ponds. Then I will follow the rules, Mace” Obi-wan smirked at his face, their low tones had Cody blinking awake, he looked up to see the two of them looking down at him. “You okay, Kote?” Obi-wan whispered, Cody nodded his eyes blinking trying to stay awake. Another entered the room revealing to be Ponds, who looked smugly at Mace, the man blushed watching Ponds take a seat beside Mayday as an act of comfort. Those in the room hoped they didn’t have to wait long and thankfully for once they didn't, as the door opened not even ten minutes later. Mayday was instantly on his feet as was Tech. 

It was CMO Kix and Coric, the latter had mentored Kix but even he needed help, so Coric was called in on difficult cases. 

“How is he?” Mayday questioned, his legs felt like jelly. 

“He’s okay. It was a tough one but he will make it. The kid needs to learn what the definition of rest and recovery is” Coric mumbled making them all smile. 

“So?” Mayday pressed, Kix could only sigh. 

“He has a mild cardiac event, his heart stopped receiving oxygen due to a lung collapsing from one of his broken ribs which hadn’t been strapped right or had moved causing more injury. The blood he was coughing up was from the cardiac event. He’s awake but on pain medication. Once he is home, he will need to be resting for at least a week to allow his ribs to heal some more since we had to break a few to access his lung. He will need to continue to monitor his heartbeat, blood pressure, sugar levels and the rest I have put on the paperwork. Plus on top of that, he has just finished his cancer treatment so he will need to sleep any pain off. So, good luck with keeping him in one place” Kix explained, his reminder of the fact that Crosshair was one of his worst patients he had ever treated, maybe he was in his top ten due to who he has treated. 

Mayday could only sigh in relief as he passed Kix to find his brother who would more than likely not be happy to be staying in one place for the next two weeks, maybe three if Mayday had anything to say about it. Entering the private room, Mayday found himself smiling seeing his brother, who was 25 coming up 26 looking like a petulant little child on the bed while he glared at his shoe that wouldn’t go on. 

“Looks like I need to help dress you again, oh dear brother of mine” Mayday teased, Crosshair looked up only to roll his eyes. 

“Tyler, what am I going to do with you?" Mayday whispered, pulling Crosshair into his arms. His baby brother latched onto him with tears in his eyes. "Carlos…I'm sorry…,"Crosshair brokeninly whispered, Mayday only pulled him closer kissing his forehead. The two only pulled away when Tech entered, Mayday caught Crosshairs blush when Tech helped him put his top on. Crosshair never asked for the help but he was grateful for their hand in helping him get on his feet and off the base. 

One thing he wasn’t happy about and had been predicted by his brother was returning to house only to learn he wasn’t allowed to stay on his own and instead had to stay with someone who would be able to watch him twenty-four seven which turned out that Tech had volunteered his home. Which meant Crosshair was stuck with the batch who soon learned why Crosshair was staying. The man didn’t really care that he had just life saving surgery, instead he cared about when he was getting his freedom back especially since they all thought it would be best to babyfy him, which wasn’t his favourite treatment but he would let Hera help, as she took his temperature and other things. 

For the first week he just slept, the second he caught a fever and one of his stitches had come lose. Kix had been called in and by the third, he was being scolded for getting out of bed without help. Mayday was away so Crosshair had to listen to the one in charge which ended up being Tech since he had signed the documents that Mayday had produced to prove they could look after the man while his brother was away. 

“Do I even ask why this time?” Wrecker questioned the man sitting on the roof of the garage. Crosshair looked down with a smirk. 

“No, best not to” Crosshair murmured, patting the roof beside him. Wrecker smirked, he climbed up with ease and settled beside the younger man. 

“You know we just care, that's why we are in a way running around like headless chickens. You returned our treasures back to us and…” 

“I know Wrecker, just drop it please. I want to enjoy this” Crosshair muttered, gesturing at the sunset. Wrecker frowned, he looked to the side to see a relieved Hunter walking towards them. It would seem the silver-haired man was much more conflicted than the rest of them. 

“Wrecker. Crosshair, dinner!” Echo called out. 

“We will be right down!” Wrecker shouted, Echo could only nod walking back into the house with Hunter in tow. “You coming?” Wrecker asked, Crosshair sighed, “I will be there in a few minutes” his murmur had Wrecker smiling as he squeezed Crosshairs hand before heading towards the kitchen.

Stay tuned for another very soon :)