Chapter 4

A few days later…

Hera was not happy, she had a decision to make to either stay with Mayday, her uncle who ensured he would look after her or stay with her other parents who had been hanging around her home the past few days. One because they wanted to get to know her, two because they wanted to earn her trust, but that didn't mean they felt the same with her mother. Yes Crosshair was another story but the reason why she had to make the decision was because he was leaving very soon and didn't want to leave her on her own. 

"Just tell them no" 

Crosshair rubbed his nose, "Hera, you know I can't. I can however, see if Jesse and Kix can watch you" 

"This isn't about my decision, I just want you home! I want us!" 

"Hera, life doesn't work that way. I don't have a choice, I must leave" 

"But mama, your dying" 

"I'm certainly not" 

"You are and you're stubborn to admit it! Why won't you stay!?" 

"Because I can't! Alright! I don't know how many times I must make this clear!" 

"Well it's not!" Hera yelled at Crosshair who had to clench his fists to prevent himself from yelling out. Footsteps from the other room revealed to be Hunter and Echo who watched with worried eyes. 

"Tell them NO!" 

"For fucks sake! If I do that I lose YOU!, Okay!" Crosshair exclaimed, shutting his daughter up, "Wh-at?" Hera stuttered with fear. 

"Yeah those were the damn rules as well as others I had to follow. The laws of the contract I had to sign, if I said no or disobeyed an order. I would lose all my rights to you and I would be thrown in jail. So screw my health, I don't care about it, what I do care about is making sure I make it home to my daughter. My only blood relative that I love, Mayday is annoying so you fill the part in my heart. So, I won't say no because I can't, if I do I lose you. Even if Echo, Hunter, Wrecker and Tech don't know, their names are on your birth certificate and on paperwork to make sure you don't end up in care!! I didn't want to tell you this way, but it looks like I don't have a choice. You had a brother. I lost him not to the care system or anything like that. I lost him to my father who killed him. He was your twin, he was only six months old. So I lost it, I killed my father without a care in the world in order to protect you. I wasn't losing you so I went through with the orders even if none of them sat right with me, all I thought about was you" Crosshair finished out of breath, he took a deep breath only to see the four in the doorway while Hera had tears running down her face. 

All of it made sense now. Hera watched her mother's body slide down to the floor. Crosshair had curled up on himself allowing tears to slip down his features. 

"All I ask is let me do this and when I return we can have that family you have always wanted. I will be home for good" Crosshair whispered, Hera only stood staring at him before she said something that she would regret later on. 

"Don't come home, I hate you" Hera shouted, she then stormed out of the room. Ignoring Echo, Hunter, Wrecker and Tech who watched her with mixed expressions. A small set of footsteps walked into the room and made their way over to Crosshair who looked up when a hand slapped his face. 

"I agree with Hera" 

"Omega!" Hunter's warning tone had Omega looking up before she turned away and ran up the stairs. Echo sighed, sharing a look with Wrecker who shook his head. This wasn't their problem to deal with. Tech remained silent watching the way Crosshair climbed unsteadily to his feet and found his phone. He was on the phone in seconds.

"How fast can you get here?" 

"Half an hour, is everything alright?" 

"Not really. I need to do this mission and Hera doesn't quite like me at the minute. Would you mind staying home for a bit?" 

"Not an issue son, I will grab Kix. We will be there in half an hour" 

"Thanks dad" 

Crosshair sighed, hanging up, he ignored the others' looks. "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have asked you all to watch a kid you barely know and drag you into this drama but you are more than welcome to watch her over the summer. My adoptive parents are on the way and are going to be staying here. You probably know them as Chief Doctor Kix and Swat Captain Jesse" his soft tone had broken bits in it. 

"Yeah Jesse's my older brother" Echo muttered, there was like almost fifteen years between him and Jesse and twenty between him and Rex. It was clear that Echo was a surprise baby. Crosshair could only nod, he squeezed his eyes shut as a wave of nausea flooded through his mind. 

"So, what do you want to do about this?" Hunter asked, gesturing to the situation. 

"Yeah, do we get the right to see our kid?" Wrecker's loud question had Crosshair wincing, why wasn't it so simple. 

"Quiet down Wrecker" Echo scolded, the bigger man muttered an apology. 

"Follow me" Crosshair gestured as he led the way into an office, he grabbed a box before entering the living room where they had all taken a seat. Pulling out a few documents, Crosshair passed one to each of them. Of course he had copies, he wasn't insane. 

"I've had these for years. I was told the other parent or parents would need to sign these so they could have permission to look after their daughter and I want you all to have a copy of her birth certificate" Crosshair explained, he passed the documents over to them. He watched their eyes lit up especially when they read over Hera's full name: Hera Violet Huxley. It was the last name they had all agreed to when they wanted to marry each other. It was Crosshairs last name, the man didn't really care but he had used it since his name wasn't Crosshair he just went by the nickname for years. Violet was a name that came from the old lady in all of their lives that looked after them all during a storm when they slept over at Hunters, she was the head servant and cared for them as her own, all of them. So it was only right Crosshair named Hera after one of his favourite people. Bearing it in mind he hates people. 

"You can either sign to make them official and I will get them sorted today before I leave or we can ignore paperwork and I give you full permission either way you get that…excuse me" Crosshair moved out the room as the doorbell went and he found himself staring at two people who had got here a lot quicker than intended. 

"Hey kid, want to explain what's going on?" Kix's worried tone had Crosshair frowning as he let them into his house. Jesse smiled at him as he entered only to find himself stopping in his tracks seeing Echo, the man sheepishly waved. Jesse nodded back. 

"We have signed it because we want to be a part of her life. Would you like us to go?" Hunter said, Crosshair shook his head. 

"No it's fine you can stay as long as you want. If you don't mind staying for a bit while I drive down to the official office that will be fine" Crosshair explained, Hunter nodded accepting it. 

"I will stay here. Explain to your mother who will surely explain to me what's going on later" Jesse muttered, Crosshair could only nod, taking the papers from the others and leaving the house with Kix and Tech who insisted on coming. 

Two hours later the three returned only to see a worried Jesse leaning against the kitchen island while Echo, Hera, Omega, Hunter and Wrecker sat watching a movie. Tech immediately joined them with a grin on his face while Jesse found himself cornering Crosshair in another room with a worried Kix. 

"Want to explain when you were going to tell us this?" Jesse placed a medical letter in front of their son. Kix glared at it. Crosshair shook his head, he turned away from the two as he grabbed something from his nightstand and handed it to them. He then left the room with a dark look on his face as he passed Omega in the corridor, the young girl gave him a strange look as he walked past the others all the way to his garage. Hera looked up only to sigh, she climbed to her feet and headed for the same place.

Please comment or star below so I know if anyone is enjoying this book! Feedback keeps these books going and ideas flowing!
Stay tuned for more... :)