Chapter 15: Training

I was currently at S.H.I.E.L.D HQ in the training room with the other heroes surrounding me. If I wasn't so phased out at the moment I would be panicking and freaking out. My first day of training and I'm zoned out. Not a good start. On the inside, I was panicking. But I just didn't want to show it.

"Now, Ari, focus on using your powers to manipulate inanimate objects. Remember, focus." Fury spoke over the loud speaker.

I could only nod my head as I felt like I was grounded to the floor. The heroes were by the sidelines watching me. I felt all eyes on me. I hated it. It felt like I was back in elementary school. God I hated those days. But now it's a new change and I don't know how to respond or react. What do I do again?!

"F-focus?... R-right. Well uh... 2x plus y equals.... Uh..." I stuttered. I felt like my mind was malfunctioning.

"No, Ari. Focus on your powers. Math isn't important right now." Spider-Man called out to me.

"Actually, math isn't important at all." Nova laughed.

"Shut it, you clowns. Now isn't the time. Fury, permission to help?" White Tiger asked.

"Permission denied. If she wants to learn she's gonna have to do this on her own." He stated.

That only made me panic more. What do I focus on?! I can't focus when my mind is racing with all these thoughts! What if I fail?! What if I hurt them or myself?! Is my mother watching me?! She'd be so disappointed in me! I can't do this! No! Shut up, Aria! You can! No I can't!

Great, now I'm arguing to myself in my head. After this I'll turn into a schizophrenic.

I was more stiff and tense than a block of ice. I tried holding in my hyperventilation but my racing heart wasn't helping. My hazy vision blurred as I tried holding in my breath which wasn't helping. I felt like I was gonna faint again. What do I do?! I can't do it!

I closed my eyes tightly as I felt tears stinging my eyes. I wish the ground would just swallow me up. I can't do this! I don't want to do this!

"Ari." I heard a very soft voice call out my name as a hand was placed down on my shoulder. I didn't need to open my eyes to know who it was standing in front of me. I felt stuck. I couldn't move. Even though his hand felt comforting I couldn't force my body to move. "Ari, open your eyes, please." Iron Fist politely ordered me but I shook my head no. I couldn't talk and could barely move.

"I... can't..." I whimpered out as my voice was barely above a whisper. I wanted to cry. But I did my best to hold back.

"Yes, you can. Look at me, please?" He asked. His voice was so soft and calm, how could I not listen. I hesitantly opened my blurry eyes, my vision slowly coming back to me as all I saw in front of me was Iron Fist's face as he gave me a soft smile. "There you go. Now just relax and focus on me. Silence your mind. You can do this." He encouraged me.

I managed to let out a very shaky breath as my body shuddered. I felt a cold sweat run down my back as my legs were shaking a little. "I... can't do this.. I don't want to do this..." I tried to hold back a sob. Is this how my mother felt when she first got her powers?

"Yes you can. Don't give up so easily. Calm yourself. Open your eyes and clear your mind. It's just a simple task. You see that L.M.D in front of you? All you have to do is move it with your mind." He said as if it was so easy to do.

On the one hand, I appreciated his help. On the other hand, I hated that he found this to be easy for me. He knows how I am.

"You say that as if I'm not currently trying to fight a mental break down..." I muttered angrily under my breath. That seemed to have caught him off guard a little since his smile turned into a slightly shocked expression.