Chapter 46

Sejeong opened the front door, "um... can I help you?" she asked in confusion as she looked at the man before her.

The man bowed before clearing his throat, "I am Manager Song, one of the girls' managers."

"Did I hear someone saying, 'Manager Song'?" Wendy asked as she walked through the hallway towards the front door, a huge smile forming as she saw the familiar guy in front of them.

Manager Song bowed to Wendy before clearing his throat, "I'm sorry for not informing you before coming here," he said before looking at Sejeong, "may I come in?" he asked her politely.

"Huh? Oh, yeah, sure..." Sejeong said, snapping out of her thought as she stepped aside to let Song enter the house.

Irene, who was in the living room, quickly stepped into the hallway to look at Song, "Mr. Song!" she exclaimed before joining Wendy and Sejeong at the front door. "What are you doing here?" she asked with a smile.

Manager Song's arrival was received differently than Manager Kim's – probably because the former was a lot younger and didn't bother the girls much about how and what they wanted to do during their break.

Song entered the house and took his shoes off before being led by Sejeong to the dining room. Y/n, who was in the kitchen, looked over his shoulder at the familiar guy before smiling, "oh, it's you," he exclaimed, gaining Song's attention.

"Hi, Y/n," Song bowed to him before taking a seat on the table, "how are you?"

Y/n shrugged before turning to face him, "well, I'm doing fine. What about you? What brings you here?" he asked before crossing his arms.

"Well, I wasn't supposed to tell anyone but the girls about this," Song said with an awkward chuckle before clearing his throat, "but I guess you can be trusted," he added before looking at Wendy and Irene and then at Y/n.

"It's about Manager Kim," he said, and Y/n's expression quickly darkened, feeling slightly annoyed by the mention of that one manager.

Y/n nodded anyway, "ah, that guy..." he exclaimed before chuckling dryly, "what about him?"

Song sighed, leaning against the chair while crossing his arms, "he has been going out a lot often lately, and when I asked him where he went, he told me to mind my own business," he explained before looking at Wendy and Irene, who were listening quietly. "Manager Kim also has been on his phone a lot. He would check it every thirty minutes or so."

Y/n nodded as he listened attentively while moving around the kitchen, fixing something for them to drink – he knew it didn't have anything to do with him, but the story piqued his interest.

"You didn't try following him?" Suho asked as he entered the dining room. Song looked at him as if not expecting Suho to be in the village, but he quickly recovered and shook his head.

Song chuckled and looked at Irene and Wendy before looking at Suho, "I didn't think about doing that," he shook his head. Y/n entered the dining room with cups of tea on a tray for them. "Besides, I don't want to listen to his babbling if I got caught."

"Help yourselves," Y/n said to them.

Sejeong, who was gone from the room for the past few minutes, reemerged with a more proper appearance – her free hair was tied to a ponytail as she sat beside Y/n, who looked at her in surprise while cocking an eyebrow.

"What?" Sejeong asked, raising her eyebrows.

Y/n shook his head, "nothing," he said before turning his attention to Song, who took a cup of tea and sipped it. "By the way, did he ever talk to you about anything related to me?"

Song stopped sipping on his tea before putting the cup on its saucer. "Come to think of it, yeah. He did told me something," he nodded before looking at Y/n. "He told me that you were teaching Irene and Wendy to be bold with their decisions or something."

"That guy thought I was a bad influence because Irene and Wendy were getting braver, and that they started talking back to him."

"Yeah, Manager Kim also said something like that," Song said, clasping his hands before pointing at Y/n with a smile.

Y/n cleared his throat, "well, do you agree with him?" he asked, tilting his head while smiling at Song.

"Well..." Song took a deep breath before clicking his tongue, "I don't agree with you being a bad influence for the girls," he said before looking at Y/n. "But I do think that by hanging out with you, the girls – especially these two," he gestured at Irene and Wendy with a mile, "...they do become sharper with their comeback and words."

Wendy chuckled before looking down – Irene doing the same as she looked at Y/n, "but that doesn't mean Y/n was a bad influence. Manager Kim was exaggerating," she exclaimed.

"She is right," Suho, who was quiet, suddenly spoke up before clearing his throat, "I mean, Y/n wasn't a bad influence – in fact, he was more of a motivation, I would say, for the girls to voice out against unfair decisions called by Manager Kim."

Song nodded, "well, you guys don't have to make it sound like I was siding with Manager Kim, because I also like how Y/n made the girls feel at home here," he told Suho, taking a sip of his tea, "I felt reassured because I knew I can count on him to keep Irene safe here back when she first got here."

Sejeong looked at Y/n, feeling proud for some reason.

Meanwhile, back in Red Velvet's dorm, Joy, Seulgi, and Yeri looked at Manager Kim with scowls. "Manager Kim, don't you think it is unfair if you cut our vacation short? What about discussing with the other managers...." Joy stopped midsentence.

Manager Kim clicked his tongue, "You guys are getting bolder, huh?" he glared at the girls. "I don't need to discuss with the other managers – I was your manager since your debut days," he said with pride.

"That doesn't give you the right to make every decision!" Seulgi retorted.

"Hey, don't talk back. I am doing this for your good," Manager Kim exclaimed before sighing, crossing his arms. "Y/n was getting in your head too with his 'freedom' doctrine," he said.

The three girls exchanged looks before sighing – they wanted to defend Y/n, but they knew that things would only get worse if they did that. "Then, are you going to tell Irene and Wendy to return?"

"Isn't it obvious?"

Back in the village, Y/n got up from his seat and clasped his hands, "well then, since we are already gathered in the dining room," he cleared his throat and looked at Sejeong, "can you call mom, and grandpa and grandma? We are having dinner."

Song got up from the chair, "well, I don't want to disturb your dinner, so, I better get going," he said, "see you..."

"No!" The whole room's attention was on Sejeong, who suddenly raised her voice, "I-I mean..." she cleared her throat, "you should... join us... for dinner."