Chapter 61

"Sejeong, you will wake the patients," Y/n said softly as he looked around him; a few other visitors were looking at them curiously while others whispered to each other.

He bowed apologetically to them with an awkward smile before looking at Sejeong, "come on," said Y/n softly as he took Sejeong to the bench, setting her down on it before putting a supportive hand on her shoulder.

"Thank you for the report, Dr Shin," Y/n thanked the doctor.

Dr Shin shook his head before sighing, "I know it is hard to accept the news, and this kind of reaction is quite common – that's why it's for the best if you stay by her side for now," he said to Y/n before excusing himself.

Y/n watched as Dr Shin walked away from them before turning his attention to his grandma sitting on Sejeong's side while his mom and grandfather tried to calm her down. "Who would've thought," he sighed softly before sitting beside Sejeong, wrapping an arm around her as he pulled her close.

Lina sighed and looked through the small window in Sang-Il's hospital room, "I knew the amount of alcohol he took would catch up to him one day," she exclaimed softly before crossing her arms, "I just didn't expect it to happen this soon."

"Well, you know what they said, Lina – life is full of surprises," Y/n's grandfather said before walking closer to the door, "you guys go home and rest – I will stay here for today, and we will take turn to watch over him," he said to them.

The others exchanged looks before agreeing. "Let's go, Sejeong," said Y/n softly as he pulled Sejeong up from the bench and made their way to the elevator with their grandmother and Y/n's mom.

***

The ride home was quiet, and Manager Song decided to drive as fast as he could, and surely enough, they got home within forty-five minutes, and once they got home, Y/n and the others gathered in the kitchen as they talked over tea.

"That guy can't die – not until he paid for what he did," Sejeong exclaimed as she stared at an empty space, her face puffy from crying the whole drive home.

Y/n looked at her, and he was about to open his mouth when Lina stopped him. "Sejeong – I know you hated him. Trust me – I feel the same," she said before moving her chair closer to her niece. "But don't you think this was the punishment for his actions?"

Sejeong shook her head and tried to say something before closing her mouth – the things she wanted to say were there for a second, but they disappeared just as quickly as they came. In the end, she shrugged and looked down, "I don't know..." was all she could say before sighing heavily.

Y/n looked around the room before getting up slowly, "I'm going to take a walk for a while – I wanted to get some fresh air," he told his mom and the others. He didn't wait for any replies from his family before he rushed out of the kitchen – the air felt thick and heavy in there, but as soon as he stepped out of the house, he finally felt like he could breathe properly.

He heaved a heavy sigh before putting his shoes on. Y/n looked at the overcast weather before starting to walk towards nowhere in particular.

After walking alone for a few minutes, Irene showed up as she caught up with Y/n, although she was catching her breath. The latter looked at her with a soft smile, "I always seemed to run away when things get hard, don't I?" he said before chuckling softly.

Irene looked at him before shaking her head, chuckling as well before steadying her breathing, "I uh..." she inhaled sharply before sighing, "I understand that sometimes, our head can only take so much," she exclaimed before wiping the sweat on her face.

"It's okay to do that, Y/n – sometimes, we just need to escape for a moment... to give our head a chance to take it all in and wrap our mind around what happened," she added as they were finally walking at a similar pace.

Y/n nodded and looked down as he kicked the same tiny rock as they walked along the gravel path leading to the potato field. "Did you tell the others you went after me?"

"Yeah – I left not long after you," Irene replied, following Y/n down the path as it got muddier.

"Things really went south today," Y/n exclaimed as he took a different direction on the path, the opposing one as the one they usually took to get to the potato field. Irene watched him for a few seconds before following him almost immediately.

Irene tilted her head slightly as she looked around the unfamiliar surroundings, "where are we?" she asked, looking at Y/n, who climbed on top of a massive rock as he looked around him.

Y/n looked at her and flashed a smile before sitting on it, patting the empty spot beside him and waiting for Irene to join him. The girl didn't question anything at the invitation as she climbed the rock and sat beside Y/n.

In front of them was a river with crystal clear water, flowing peacefully, followed by birds chirping and a cool breeze gently hitting their face, "what is this place?" asked Irene, finding herself caught in the tranquillity of the scene

"Ah... this was where I used to go whenever I have too much in mind," said Y/n as he picked up a tree branch beside him and threw it into the river.

Irene looked at him, "you never took me here."

Y/n chuckled softly before looking at her, "not only you – I never took Wendy here either."

"Why?"

"Because..." he shrugged before resting his hands on the rock, leaning back as he breathed in the tranquil air, "I just remember about this spot a few months ago – Yuri was the one that reminded me of this place."

Irene nodded understandingly, "I see... was it when you and Wendy broke up?"

Y/n nodded, "yeah – she told me to come here, to see if anything would change in me if I experienced the nostalgic feelings I got from this place," he shrugged before looking at Irene again, "and to be honest...I thought this place was ruined when the village was redeveloped when I was in high school."

"Well, they should never let something as beautiful as this goes to waste," Irene said, crossing her legs as she stared at the river – she could see a school of fish swimming around. "I can see how this place can be therapeutic."

Y/n hummed softly, nodding as he let the cool breeze hit his face, "I was planning on taking Wendy here today, you know? To show her how she reminded me of that calm river. But then something unexpected happened," he exclaimed before looking at Irene, who was now staring at him with a small smile.

"What?" Y/n raised an eyebrow.

Irene chuckled before shaking her head, "oh, it's nothing – I just find it funny how I used to like you when you were this cheesy," she said before clearing her throat.

Y/n chuckled, "you don't mean that, do you?" he asked, and they stared at each other for a few minutes without saying anything before the girl finally gave in, laughing softly before nodding her head.

"Yeah, you are right – I was just messing around with you," said Irene before they finally focused on the tranquillity of the moment – appreciating it before they had to go back to the harsh reality – it was still impossible to believe that Sang-Il has a stage four liver cancer.