Chapter 24

Chunga took a few seconds before responding to what Y/n had just said. "Oh, your girlfriend..." she repeated before looking at him with a small smile. "And how long have you guys been together?" she added.

Y/n looked at Wendy, a part of him wanted to lie and tell Chungha that they have been dating for two years, but another part wanted to be honest. Wendy took his hand, pulling him closer – he looked at her, who gave him a nod of assurance.

In the end, Y/n decided to tell Chungha a half-truth, half-lie answer. "We met a while ago, but it hasn't been a year yet."

She smiled, nodding before looking at Wendy, "and what is your name?" she asked.

Wendy cleared her throat, "my name is Son Seung-Wan."

Chungha nodded, "ah, I see... it's nice meeting you, Seung-Wan. I'm Chungha."

"This might be rude of me to ask you on the first meeting, but what do you do for a living?" asked Chungha.

Y/n looked at Wendy anxiously, "look at the time," he said, awkwardly looking at his watch before pulling the latter away from Chungha. "We really need to get going now. See you later," he added before walking away from her.

They walked through the different rows of wallpapers before Y/n heaved a sigh of relief. Confused by his action, Wendy tilted her head, "what's wrong?"

"It's nothing," Y/n answered, looking behind them to see if Chungha was following them.

Wendy sighed, "Y/n, you don't have to lie, okay? Tell me what's wrong," she said, walking closer to him as she cups his cheek.

He didn't say anything as he kept looking in the direction they came from, worried that Chungha would pop up any moment. "Is she your ex-girlfriend? Is that why you don't want to tell me the truth?"

Hearing what Wendy said made Y/n a little upset, not because she kept asking him, but because of the idea of him and Chungha dating. "What? No. She is not that or anything," he shook his head.

After a minute, Y/n sighed. "I will tell you once we buy the wallpaper, okay?" he said, smiling at her.

Wendy nodded, knowing it would be pointless to press him into telling her at that moment since things could only get worse if Y/n must answer her unwillingly.

Meanwhile, Chungha stood in the same spot for a few seconds, wondering why Y/n looked uncomfortable with her getting to know Wendy.

"Son Seung-Wan... that name seems familiar," she muttered before leaving the shop. "But where have I heard that name before?"

Back in Seoul, Joy, Yeri, and Seulgi were getting dizzy as they watched their leader walking back and forth in the living room, her phone in hand as she crossed her arms.

"You are making us dizzy, unnie," Joy complained as she continued to look at Irene.

Seulgi nodded, "that's right. Can you tell us what makes you so uneasy?" she chimed in.

Irene looked at her members; frustration was written all over her face as she uncrossed her arms, walked towards them and sat on the couch, squeezing between Yeri and Seulgi. "It's about Y/n..."

Joy sighed, "unnie, we already talked about it, right? It is best for you to focus on your relationship with Suho."

Their leader nodded, sighing. "But I can't help but wonder how he is feeling after seeing the news," she complained, "urgh, I already said I don't want my relationship with Suho to be publicized yet."

"Then you shouldn't have come back with us yet," Yeri remarked.

Irene looked at the youngest with a soft glare, "do you think I wanted to?"

Seulgi smiled, "then why did you came with us?"

Irene looked at her, crossing her arms, "because Manager Kim kept pressing me into coming with you guys," she sighed before looking at her phone, contemplating between calling Y/n or not.

"Come to think of it..." she looked up from her phone, "did Wendy told any of you where she is?"

The girls exchanged looks with each other before shaking their heads in unison, "we have no idea," said Joy.

Back in town, Wendy and Y/n finally bought a few rolls of wallpaper for his bedroom. As they got into the car and drove away from the shop, the former looked at him, clearing her throat before taking her mask off. "So..."

Y/n looked at her, immediately knowing what Wendy wanted to talk about. "First of all," he stopped at the traffic light before fishing his phone out of his sling bag, opening the gallery app, and showing her a photo of a chubby boy around 15 years old.

Wendy smiled and took his phone, studying the picture. "Who is this?"

"That was me twelve years ago," he answered before gently taking the phone from her hand and swiping it into another picture – it was a girl around the same age. Wendy immediately recognized her as Chungha. "And this one was Chungha."

Wendy nodded, "she's pretty," she said approvingly as she looked at Y/n.

Y/n shrugged, "you are prettier," he replied, making Wendy blush.

"Thank you..." Wendy mumbled before clearing her throat, "so, why are you showing me these pictures?"

Y/n took a deep breath before driving. "As you see, I used to be... overweight," he said, a little embarrassed to talk about his body when he was younger.

Wendy shook her head, "you were cute though," she replied, looking at his old photo again.

"Thank you," Y/n smiled, shy from Wendy's compliment. "Well, anyway... that boy," he pointed at his old photo, "used to have a crush on Chungha when they were in high school."

Wendy nodded, waiting for him to continue.

"One day, that boy decided to confess to her, thinking it was a good idea...."

"And they dated, right?" Wendy concluded.

Y/n shook his head, "as if..." he scoffed before taking a turn to the left, "... what happened was, that boy got humiliated because Chungha rejected him in front of the whole school during lunch."

Unable to believe what she had just heard, Wendy looked at Y/n with a surprised expression. "Are you serious? Why would she do that?"

"Beat me," Y/n shrugged, stopping at another traffic light.

Wendy moved her body to face him, intrigued by the story, "then what happened after that?"

Y/n looked at her with a small smile before focusing on the road again, "you could say that the boy's school life changed for the worse – he was mocked and made fun by other students."

Not knowing what else to say, Wendy sighed. "Is that why you are uncomfortable around her now?"

He nodded, "yup. That is why I try to avoid her as best as I could, and I was more than relieved when Chungha moved to the US a year after that."

"Ah, come to think of it...." Y/n looked at Wendy, "you used to live in the west, too, right?"

Wendy nodded, "yeah, I used to live in Canada."

"Does that mean you can speak French?" Y/n asked, smiling at her. Wendy hummed, nodding to his question.

"Bon... Bonjour," said Y/n jokingly before Wendy replied in French, adding more details the former didn't understand. "Okay, you got me... that's all I know," he said before chuckling.

Wendy found herself amused by Y/n's attempt to speak French with her, "you are such an idiot sometimes," she shook her head.

"But I am your idiot," Y/n winked.