Chapter 71

Y/n got up from the seat, trying to go after Sejeong. "Hey, wait up..." he called out as his cousin was reaching the elevator, but before he could chase after her, Mr Kim grabbed him by the wrist, and Y/n looked down at him with a surprised face.

"Don't," Mr Kim told him – the one word the former uttered was enough to make Y/n sit on the chair again. Mr Kim knew that her granddaughter must've finally let out the emotions she had been bottling up since she was a kid towards her father, but he also knew that it was best to let her be by herself for now – let her calm down.

Wendy looked at Y/n with soft eyes before resting her head on his shoulder, "let her calm down first, Y/n," she said softly before moving closer to him, closing her eyes while wrapping her arms around her boyfriend's.

Meanwhile, the other Red Velvet members were in the house, preparing dinner while hoping they wouldn't burn the kitchen. Manager Song grabbed his coat from the living room and peeked at the door before informing the members, "I am going to the hospital to pick up Y/n's mother and grandparents."

Seulgi looked at their manager, smiling before giving him a thumbs up. "Alright – we will hold the fort while you are away," she assured Manager Song as they walked him to the front door. The girls watched quietly as Manager Song got in the van.

"Drive safely!" Irene reminded him as Manager Song exited the driveway and drove away.

Once the van was out of sight, the girls remained at the front door for a while – staring at the empty street in front of them before Joy started a conversation, "how long do you think it would take Manager Song to pick them up, and then returning here?" she asked.

Irene hummed, leaning against the doorframe before tilting her head, "I don't know... an hour, maybe?"

"Yeah – an hour sounds reasonable," Seulgi nodded in agreement.

Not long after that, Yeri looked around them, sniffing around before looking at her members, "do you guys smell that? Like... something burnt..."

That was when Irene's eyes widened, and she realized what the burnt smell that the maknae smelled, and she rushed to the kitchen. "It's the chicken!" she exclaimed as she arrived at the kitchen, rushing to get the tongs from the counter and picking out the fried chicken from the frying pan.

The other members followed after Irene, and as they arrived at the kitchen, it was filled with smoke. Joy swatted her hand around as she approached the small window near the sink, facing the backyard. "I told you to put it on low heat," she scolded before opening the window, swatting her hands outside, hoping the smoke would clear out faster.

Yeri and Seulgi grabbed the table fan from the living room, using it to help Joy while Irene turned the gas stove off, looking at the burnt piece of chicken before crossing her arms. "I thought if I used higher heat, the chicken would cook faster."

Seulgi looked at their leader, laughing at her reason before clearing her throat. "Sure, the chicken would cook faster – but that's only the outside," she explained as she turned the stove on again – she ensured the temperature wasn't too high.

Someone knocked on the door as the girls continued to cook for the next ten minutes. They exchanged looks before deciding who would check on the person who was knocking – they decided to play rock, paper, scissors to choose, and in the end, Irene lost the game and ended up being the one to check who was at the door.

Irene walked cautiously towards the door and nervously placed her hand on the doorknob, twisting it. "Who is the..." She slowly stopped talking as she opened the door, revealing the person. "Suho...?" she looked at her boyfriend, not expecting the busy man to come anytime soon.

"Oh, I was expecting Y/n to open the door," Suho said, smiling before looking over Irene, raising her eyebrows. "Wait, why's the house quiet? Where is everyone?" he asked, looking at his girlfriend.

Irene cleared her throat and stepped aside to let Suho enter the house. "Right, I forgot to tell you – they were at the hospital," she answered.

Suho took his shoes off and walked to the dining room with Irene, "the hospital? Why? What happened?"

"It's a long story..." Irene sighed, following Suho from behind as they arrived at the dining room, and they sat across from each other on the table. "But, if you want me to tell you now, I wouldn't mind."

~~~

While the other girls were cooking, Irene was busy helping Suho catch up with what was happening around the house. The latter was so into the story that he didn't open his mouth once to ask his girlfriend anything – afraid he might miss out on anything he should keep in mind while talking to Y/n and his family.

Once Irene was done, Suho crossed his arms and leaned against his seat, "so, all that happened in the span of four weeks?" he asked, looking at the former.

Irene nodded and sighed heavily, "I know I'm not part of their family, but I couldn't help feeling how stressful the whole situation is," she exclaimed before looking at Suho. "But, hey, at least Manager Song is there now to look after Sejeong," she added – trying to find the good in the bad.

"Yeah," Suho nodded in agreement, "I guess every cloud really does has a silver lining."

Meanwhile, Y/n and Wendy went to the hospital's rooftop, staying there for a while to breathe in the fresh air as the atmosphere outside Sang-Il's room felt stuffy. "I guess I wouldn't be able to talk with Sejeong's father after all today," said Wendy, chuckling softly as she wrapped her arms around Y/n's.

Y/n nodded, humming. "Well, who knows, maybe later today, you could talk to him? Although, I don't know if you, meeting him would be a good idea."

Wendy looked at her boyfriend, "why not? I mean, he's your uncle, and he did something unforgiveable, but he is still family, right?" she asked, smiling softly as Y/n spaced out.

He was unsure if there was any good in introducing her to his deadbeat uncle would be a good idea – and if he could even be considered a part of his family anymore, judging from the way Sang-Il neglected his daughter and abruptly cut any form of communication with the family for the past few years.

"Right, Y/n?"

Wendy's voice snapped Y/n out of his thought, and with how she gently shook his body, he looked at her, blinking a few times before flashing an apprehensive smile, "Yeah, you are right."