Chapter 37

Wendy and Minhyuk walked around a bit more in the town square before the latter had to leave. "I wished we could've spent more time together," he said while looking at Wendy.

Thinking about Y/n's whereabouts and safety, Wendy sighed softly while crossing her arms – he didn't hear what Minhyuk said to her.

"Wendy?" Minhyuk called while waving a hand in front of her face to snap her out of the thought.

It worked as Wendy quickly snapped out of her thought as she looked at him, "oh, sorry... I was thinking..." she said, flashing a small smile before sighing softly.

They continued to walk in silence as the fireworks display continued. Minhyuk glanced at her occasionally before clearing his throat, "Wendy, can I ask you a question?"

Wendy hummed, looking up from the ground as she looked at him. "What is it?"

There was a brief pause as Minhyuk took a deep breath before asking, "Do you really love Y/n?"

They stopped walking as the question came out of Minhyuk's mouth. Wendy tilted her head, "why do you ask?" she replied.

Minhyuk looked away from her as he cleared his throat, "Well, I don't want to sound like a jerk, but if there is a chance that your relationship with Y/n was more of a 'to kill some time' kind of thing, I wanted to ask you out..." he said.

It didn't take Wendy long to reply, "Minhyuk, I appreciate your honesty... but I must let you know that my feelings for Y/n are sincere, and we are not dating because we are bored. Besides, you are more like an older brother to me."

Minhyuk stared at her for a while, finally nodding after a few seconds. "I see..." he nodded before exhaling sharply, "well, I have to go now... see you around," he quickly said to Wendy before walking away, leaving Wendy alone.

Wendy stood at the same spot for the next five minutes, thinking about how she had ignored Y/n for the whole day. After a while, she sighed and walked toward where Sejeong and the others were at.

Meanwhile, once they broke the kiss, Irene and Y/n stared at each other before snickering awkwardly, "we shouldn't have done that," the former said, shaking her head.

Y/n nodded in agreement, "yeah... I'm sorry," he replied softly before looking down at the ground.

They sat in silence for the next five minutes; neither tried to strike up a conversation. After a while, though, Y/n looked up from the ground toward Irene, "let's get back to the others," he said.

Irene looked at him, nodding before also getting up. They were quiet along the way back to the town square – once they got there, Y/n looked at her with a soft smile, "thank you, Irene..." he said, clearing his throat.

"I barely did anything," she replied.

Y/n shook his head, "you did more than you think," he exclaimed.

Irene smiled softly, nodding before taking her phone out and texting Suho about their location.

A few minutes later, Suho and the others approached them, with Sejeong angrily marching up to Y/n, "you idiot, can't you stop making us worry for once?" she scolded before smacking his back.

"I'm sorry, okay?" Y/n sighed, looking at Sejeong with a small smile.

Sejeong huffed and crossed her arms, "it's not me that you should apologize to," she said before gesturing toward Wendy, who was looking at Y/n worriedly – she hesitated to walk toward him, but Y/n took the initiative to walk toward her instead.

"I'm sorry for making you worry," Y/n said, still upset from how Wendy ignored him almost the whole day, but the moment he saw her tearing up, he sighed and hugged her tightly. "Don't cry," he said while patting her head.

Irene watched them with a soft smile before realizing that Minhyuk wasn't with them. She turned to Suho, who was also watching with a soft smile, "where is Minhyuk?" she whispered.

Suho looked at her, "he left not long ago," he replied.

Y/n and Wendy broke the hug as the former looked at her, "did you enjoy the fireworks display?" he asked softly, cupping her cheek before wiping her tears.

Wendy sighed softly, shaking her head before hugging him again, "I didn't," she said before resting her head against his chest – it was good that there were only them at the entrance at that time, so no one could see them hugging.

"Well, that's good that he has returned," Wonwoo exclaimed while clasping his hands.

Sejeong sighed, "Y/n seriously needs to stop making us worried. It's annoying," she complained while crossing her arms.

Yuri looked at her and chuckled, "Well, it seems to me that you are more relieved than you are annoyed," she commented, slightly tilting her head.

"Oh, please, Y/n can stay missing for all I care," Sejeong quickly retorted before approaching the couple.

Wonwoo looked at Sejeong, "you say that, yet your action says otherwise," he exclaimed, joining in the teasing. The look on the latter's face made Sejeong and Wonwoo laugh, but they quickly stopped when Wendy and Y/n approached them.

Meanwhile, Suho and Irene watched quietly from the side. The former looked at her and sighed softly, "you still have feelings for him, don't you?" he asked.

Irene's eyes widened as she looked at him, "what are you talking about?"

"I can see from the way you act... you still have feelings for Y/n," Suho answered calmly.

They stared at each other, and Irene sighed after a while, "even if I do, Y/n, and I agreed it is best for us to move on," she said, looking back at Y/n and the others. "We decided to work on our current relationship, so that's that."

Suho shook his head, "I wouldn't mind if you ask to break up right now, to be honest – I don't want you to be in a relationship where you are unhappy," he said, and Irene quickly looked at him.

"Kim Junmyeon," Irene cleared her throat, "say that again and I swear I will break every bone possible," she scolded.

"But I don't want you to..."

Irene sighed, "I used to think that our relationship was nothing but a tool to help the company," she said, "but I've come to realize that it was me that wasn't putting any effort into us," she added.

Suho listened quietly as Irene continued to talk, "Y/n made me realize that love won't work unless both parties are willing to put in the effort," she said, taking the former's hand as they intertwined their fingers.

"I might not be the greatest girlfriend, and I certainly am not good at showing affection toward you, but if you let me, I will try my best to make this work," Irene exclaimed, flashing a genuine smile as she looked at Suho.

The latter was surprised by Irene's words, and the smile on her face made it more surreal – she almost never gave Suho that kind of smile, and he found himself blushing at the sight. "Irene..." he quickly composed himself before shaking his head.

"You don't have to change anything, Irene. I like you the way you are now."