Chapter 17

Irene quickly wiped her tears when she heard Y/n's voice. "I'm not crying," she replied, turning away from him so he couldn't see her tears.

Y/n sighed and walked towards her, "you obviously did," he said, walking in front of Irene and cupping her cheeks. She looked at him with bloodshot eyes as she sniffled, "see? You obviously cried," Y/n exclaimed before wiping the tears off her cheeks with his thumbs.

"Why do you care?" Irene said, trying to act cold as she looked away from Y/n. The latter sighed and stared at her for a while before taking his hands off her cheeks.

"Why are you crying, Irene?"

Irene sighed, giving up on trying to act cold. She looked at Y/n and crossed her arms, "it was what Sejeong said..." he thought about what his cousin said.

"What about it?"

"I just... it hurts when I remember your feelings for me, but I can't do anything about it because I'm in a relationship with someone else," she added.

Y/n thought about it, "so, have you sorted things right with Suho?" he asked, looking at Irene while waiting for her to answer.

Meanwhile, in the kitchen, Wendy and Sejeong were sitting at the dining table while Wendy was staring out the window. Noticing the awkwardness in the air, Sejeong decided to start a conversation.

"So, what exactly happened last night?" she asked.

Wendy looked at her with raised eyebrows, "hmm? What do you mean?"

Sejeong looked around before leaning closer to her, "like, tell me in detail about what happened last night," she whispered, and Wendy started to blush when she recalled what happened that time.

"Well..." Wendy cleared her throat and smiled awkwardly at Sejeong, "I tried to take Y/n home, but he didn't want to. Then, it started to rain, so..." she took a deep breath before continuing, "we took a shelter in an old shed and waited for the rain to stop, but it didn't," she left the kissing bit out before her smile grew bigger.

Sejeong eyed her suspiciously, "is that so...?" she asked, continuing to stare at her. Wendy chuckled awkwardly before looking around the room nervously.

"We're back," Wendy heaved a sigh of relief when Y/n and Irene entered the dining room. "Is breakfast ready?" asked Y/n, walking towards the kitchen, and checking on the boiling stew. He grabbed the ladle and took a taste of it before turning to face the girls.

"You guys set the table. I will wake the others up," said Y/n before walking out of the kitchen.

Later that morning, everyone was gathered in the dining room and were having their breakfast. It was quiet for the first five minutes, but then Y/n's mother started a conversation.

"How could you do that last night, Y/n?" she scolded while looking at Y/n.

Y/n looked at her before swallowing the food in his mouth. He shrugged before looking at Irene, and then at Wendy. "I was not in my best state of mind, what do you expect?" he replied before eating.

Sejeong scoffed, "if it weren't for Wendy, who knows what Y/n would've done?" she said, side-eyeing him.

Ignoring her, Y/n looked at his grandparents, "are you guys going to the market today?" he asked. His grandmother looked at him and nodded before drinking her tea.

"Why? Do you want to come with us?" asked Y/n's grandfather. He nodded and finished his breakfast before getting up from the dining table. Every time Y/n's grandparents go to the market, he would follow them since that was one of the only times when he has the chance to go out to the town.

"Can I come with you guys?"

Everyone turned their attention to Irene, who was raising her hand. "What's wrong, Irene?" asked Sejeong, smiling. "Do you want to say something?" she added.

Irene looked at her and chuckled awkwardly before shaking her head, "I was just fixing my sleeves," she said, pretending to fix them. Y/n looked at her without saying a word – he knew that she wanted to come with them, and he was excited at the idea of the two of them being left alone there, but then he remembered the circumstances between them.

"Sure, you can join us, Wendy," Y/n's grandmother replied to Wendy's question about whether she can come with them.

Yeri, Seulgi, and Joy looked at each other before looking at Y/n's mother, "so, if they are going to the market, what should we do in the meantime?"

Mrs Kim looked at them before smiling, "if you guys are up for it, we can clean the house."

They exchanged looks – since they don't have anything else to do, might as well clean the house since they were staying there. "Sure, we are up for it," Joy replied with a nod and a smile.

*Later that day, at the market*

Wendy and Y/n walked around the market – it was a traditional one. "Did any of the girls ask you about last night?" asked Y/n as they stopped in front of a vegetable stall.

She looked at him for a while before shaking her head. "Nothing too deep – they just asked about where we took shelter while it was raining," she replied.

Y/n nodded as they continued to walk through the market again. Wendy on the other hand was tugging on her purse while looking around. He turned to look at her before stopping.

Wendy looked at him with raised eyebrows, "what's wrong?" she asked after Y/n stopped.

Y/n didn't say anything as he offered his hand. Wendy looked at his hand in confusion before taking it, though she was not sure if that was what he meant. He intertwined their fingers before smiling and continuing to walk.

Wendy was shy at first, but after walking together for five minutes, she finally smiled and walked closer to Y/n. After walking for another fifteen minutes, they stopped in front of a tteokbokki stand and the owner greeted them.

"Welcome, welcome!" the owner greeted with a huge smile. She studied Y/n and Wendy, "wow! It has been a while since a young couple stopped by," she exclaimed before grabbing a small cup.

Wendy and Y/n looked at each other before smiling awkwardly, "we are... we are not a couple," said Wendy shyly before looking down – a smile was on her face, and she started to blush.

"There's no need to pretend, young lady," the owner exclaimed before giving them a small cup, "here, eat this sample and see if you like it," she added and Y/n took the cup politely from the lady, thanking her.

Y/n picked one up using a skewer and offered it to Wendy, "open your mouth," he said, and Wendy looked at him, opening her mouth before being fed by Y/n. He watched her chew on the rice cake before smiling, "hold on," he said before wiping the sauce on the corner of her lips.