Chapter 3

I looked over at the owner of the voice as he made his way towards us. He looked at me and bowed before continuing his way towards Irene. She seemed to know the guy as she was smiling when she saw him, "oh, Mr Song! Why are you here?" she asked the guy who was addressed as Mr Song.

"I have a few things to talk to you about. Are you busy?" asked Mr Song and Irene looked at me with a small smile before shaking her head.

"Well... I'm about to dig out potatoes with him," said Irene while pointing at me. "But I'm not in a rush or anything."

I cleared my throat and smiled at them, "well... that's my cue to leave. Irene, you know where the potato field is, right?" Irene nodded at me and waved goodbye as I excused myself and made my way to the field where my mother, grandparents and Sejeong were already digging out potatoes. I jogged the rest of my way there and as soon as I got to the centre of the field, I start digging for potatoes.

An hour later, the sun was beaming hot to the point I have to take my long-sleeved shirt off and I was sweating so badly that my white undershirt was drenched in sweat.

"Drink some water," I stopped digging as I saw a bottle of water in front of me. I took it and looked up, squinting due to the bright sunlight and tried to recognize the person in front of me. "Thank you," I said even though I couldn't really tell who it was until she squatted down in front of me with a smile.

"You're welcome," said Irene as she gently took the small rake from my other hand and started digging out potatoes. I sat on the ground and groaned as I chugged the water bottle empty before exhaling in relief. "You should rest for a bit," added her but I immediately got back to work, using my hands to dig out potatoes instead since Irene was using the rake.

After working for five hours straight, the sun has finally set and we gathered the potatoes we dugout in a huge basket. "Wow... we dug out a lot more than usual today," my grandfather exclaimed happily while wiping his sweat using the towel he wrapped around his neck.

I chuckled and took my dirty gloves off before looking at Irene who was smiling widely while looking at the fruits of her labour inside a huge basket. "It's all thanks to Irene's help," I said and wiped the sweat on her temple using my hand — though it was actually just an excuse for me to get a better look at her beautiful bare face.

I pulled my hand away and smiled when she looked at me with wide eyes. "Oh... what is this? Only two days in and you guys are already in this level of relationship?" my mother exclaimed and I looked at her, flustered while shaking my head.

"I was just... wiping —"

"Stop it, Lina... you shouldn't embarrass your son like that," my grandma scolded as she smacked my mother's shoulder.

"Well then..." I whistled and walked away, "I'm gonna head home first and prepare dinner for us," I told them.

"Let me help you," said Irene and followed behind me.

We were quiet along the way and neither of us actually try to break the silence as we were enjoying each other's company. That was until something hit my thought and I wanted to ask what she discussed with that Mr Song earlier today.

"So... who was that guy that visited you?" I started and looked at Irene.

"Oh... you mean Mr Song? He is my manager," she said and I nodded. She must be some sort of celebrity to have a manager — a model perhaps?

"What did you guys talked about?" I asked again and she shook her head.

"It's nothing important... just that my colleague wanted to know where I am right now... because, you see? I'm in some sort of hiatus at the moment."

As soon as she finished her sentence, our conversation ended and we continued to walk in silence until we reached the front gate of the house. We entered the house and she went to the bathroom on the 2nd floor to clean herself meanwhile I used the bathroom in my room.

*Time Skip*

After having our dinner that night, Irene and I sat on the rooftop of the house to enjoy the cool night breeze. I was busy on my phone when an article caught my attention; Irene's name and something related to mistreating staffs and bullying. I read it quietly while Irene was stargazing and as soon as I finished reading the article, I turned to look at Irene.

"Hey... Irene..." I called her and crossed my arms, hesitating to ask her about the article.

"Hmm?" she hummed and looked at me with a small smile. I showed her the article and her smile immediately turned into a frown upon seeing it. "Oh... you've read the article..." she said sadly and I put my phone away.

"Is it true?" I asked but she didn't say anything. "I mean... the article..."

"Do you believe it, Y/n?"

I looked at her who was getting teary-eyed and I shook my head violently. "No! I don't..."

She sniffled and wiped the tears on her cheeks before smiling softly. "Really?"

"Yes... I don't believe the article... because the article said you are rude and cold towards your staffs but on the two days I've known you, I can tell that you are nothing like what the article said at all. In fact, you are an amazing girl," I said as sincere as I could and she chuckled, nodding at my words.

We then talked for the rest of the night about the article and she explained to me about her hiatus and she also told me that she's the leader of the girl group, Red Velvet. I listened quietly as she shared her hardships with me. As it turns out, she went on a hiatus because she wanted the situation to cool down and to regain her confidence before returning to the media.

"Wow... that's..." I cleared my throat and tried to come up with a plan to help her regain her confidence. "Let's put all the negativity aside... I will help you!" I said confidently and she looked at me with a smile. I myself wasn't sure how I would help her but I should try to anyway.

"Really? How?"

"Well... I'm still working on that part of the plan but! I will help you," I took her hand and wrapped it in mine. She chuckled and nodded at my words.

"Thanks, Y/n."