Chapter 4

The next day, I woke up at 5 am and started to work in the kitchen as it was an important day — it was my grandfather's birthday. But he seems to forget it every year since he's getting old.

While I was working on the seaweed soup for him, my mother came down and entered the kitchen with a smile. "Preparing the soup for grandpa?" she asked me which I replied by nodding before putting the dried seaweed into the pot.

"Is he awake?" I asked. My mother looked behind me and shook her head before walking towards me and started helping me.

"Their room isn't lit, yet. Maybe he will wake up soon," said my mother and started working on the other dishes for us to eat. There weren't many dishes we have to prepare and it only took us about half an hour to finish preparing them all.

"I'm going to take a shower first. So, make sure to give a proper wish to grandpa, alright?" I smiled and took my apron off before going to my room. I was halfway through my business in the bathroom when I heard them singing happy birthday to my grandpa from downstairs. I smiled softly and continued to clean myself for the next fifteen minutes.

***

After changing into clean clothes, I went downstairs to join the others to eat breakfast. The atmosphere was always bright and cheerful during my grandfather's birthday and I wouldn't miss the chance to join in the pleasant atmosphere.

"Oh, Y/n ah, come and join us!" said Sejeong happily while tapping the empty seat beside her. Irene was already at the dining table at the time, eating quietly while watching everyone with a smile.

I made my way towards Sejeong and sat beside her before clearing my throat, looking at my grandfather who was smiling, "how's the seaweed soup, grandpa?" I asked him and he looked at me with the widest smile ever. He gave me two thumbs up while eating the kimchi that my mother made a while ago.

*Time Skip*

"Do you know how to bake?" I asked while looking at Irene who was sitting with her legs crossed in the middle of the potato field. She looked at me and shrugged, looking up to the sky while squinting her eyes.

"I tried once... but the result wasn't the one I wanted," she chuckled and looked at me. I snickered and shook my head slightly before wiping the sweat on her forehead and clearing my throat. She smiled and thanked me quietly before looking at my grandparents who were working in the distance.

"Then you should help me," I said and got on my feet before walking towards my mother who was resting while talking to Sejeong near my grandparents. I told them about my plan and they agreed to it before looking at Irene with a smirk. It was usually Sejeong who helped me prepare the cake but since I thought it was a good idea to help her regain confidence by making her prepare the cake and I would supervise her.

I turned to look at Irene who was watching from the spot we were sitting on previously and gestured her to come and she didn't waste any time as she made her way towards me while holding on to her straw hat. It was a refreshing afternoon as the wind blows gently. I took the chance to take her for a short walk around the village as it might help her memorize the path for whenever she goes out for a jog again. While we were walking around, a lot of elderly were praising me and congratulating me — though it was quite awkward to be praised for something not true, I still felt a sense of pride in myself for being able to make them believe I was dating Irene.

"Sorry if they make it awkward for you," I said to Irene with a chuckle. She looked at me and shook her head, taking the straw hat off her head and swings it around in her hand.

"There's no need to apologize," she replied and looked at the hill where I told her there were ghosts and she got closer to me. I snickered softly and shook my head before continuing our journey towards the other end of the village. "Say, what you said about the hill isn't true, right?" she asked.

An idea popped up in my head and I looked at her with a scared expression just to make it seems more realistic. "Shh! Don't talk about it around this area," I said and she gasped, her eyes widen while walking closer to me.

"Why not?"

"They can hear you," I whispered and purposely looked around before running away. She squealed and chased after me not long after that. We stopped after running around for what felt like hours before she hit me on my shoulder.

"Why did you run?" She asked and I chuckled, bowing at her playfully.

"I'm sorry," I said and looked at the hill again. "But the ghosts told me to run," I said again, still at it on pranking her. Irene scoffed and glared at me before walking away.

"Don't do that again!" she cried and continued to walk away from me.

"Hey, I'm sorry!" I shouted but she won't stop walking. I watched her for a few seconds before chuckling and chasing after her finally.

Author Point of View

Irene sniffled and wiped her tears before continuing her walk to the potato field to tell on Y/n's mother but she was stopped by Y/n. Not in the way, anyone would expect but it wasn't a bad thing though as it was able to comfort Irene.

"I'm sorry," said Y/n again, this time a little softer as his arms were wrapped around Irene's waist while Irene was blushing really hard at Y/n's action that she couldn't form a proper sentence to reply to Y/n.

"I promise I will treat you to great foods if you forgive me," said Y/n, pulling Irene closer to him. He rests his chin on her shoulder and despite feeling stupid and scared, Y/n continued his action as he thought it might help to persuade Irene not to be angry at him.

Instead of answering, Irene finally smiled and sniffled, putting her hands on top of Y/n's while looking around, hoping nobody would see them like that. She forgot at that time that she is someone's girlfriend, she forgot that she's not supposed to feel butterflies in her belly just because of some stupid gesture like a back hug from Y/n but she did. And she thought it was a good thing.