Volume 5 Chapter 9 - Revelation Eye

|Alistair|

Lord Claxter's voice carried across the room, announcing my presence, "Behold, the son of Saphira, our esteemed Alistair has returned to us."

All eyes turned towards me, their gazes a blend of curiosity and recognition. However, I could see some disgust mixed in their eyes as well.

Only a dozen members were there in the entire giant hall, however, the pressure coming each of them was on another level. It wasn't at Windsom's level, but it was close. They were most definitely above the average Indrath in terms of power.

"Now, what I would like to first announce is that Alistair will be the lord of the Claxter clan after he matures and the war among the lessers reaches its conclusion," Lord Claxter announced, catching me and everyone in the room by surprise. 

An eruption of clamor engulfed the room, voices rising in vehement protest and outright refusal to acknowledge my position as the future lord of the Claxter clan. The air crackled with dissent, and it was evident that winning their acceptance would be a formidable challenge.

"Silence!"

The voices disappeared as if struck by lightning, and for a moment I very well could have believed that was what had happened, for at that moment Lord Claxter resembled thunder more than any living being. I even found myself trembling, but not with shame, for to be intimidated by a man is unbecoming of one of my station, but who can resist a force of nature? Whatever defenses you could erect against this storm of a lord would be futile - at that moment I understood that in my heart. And I also understood in that moment, as if the darkness had been lighted by an instant by that very peal of thunder, that with the support of this lord there would be no reason to disbelieve that I could win the acceptance of my clan.

In that instant, one of the vassals, his countenance contorted with defiance, attempted to resist the crushing pressure. However, his defiance swiftly crumbled, his face drained of colour as he slumped back into his chair. The weight of Lord Claxter's power proved insurmountable, a reminder of the vast gap that separated us.

As the room fell into an uneasy silence, the full extent of Lord Claxter's strength became undeniable. It was a display that left no room for doubt, instilling both awe and trepidation in those who had dared to question his authority. In that moment, I grasped the formidable task that lay before me—to earn not only their acceptance but also their unwavering loyalty.

"I understand that there may be understandable complaints and doubts surrounding this decision," Lord Claxter began, his voice tinged with a hint of weariness as he massaged his temples, easing the residual pressure that hung in the air. "Therefore, I propose a compromise—a test of Alistair's mettle and worthiness to assume the title of heir to the Claxter clan."

An air of disbelief swept across the faces of the gathered clan members, their eyes fixed upon me with a mixture of skepticism and curiosity, seeking answers as to why Lord Claxter placed such profound faith in my abilities.

"Here is my proposal," Lord Claxter continued, his gaze unwavering and resolute. "Alistair shall be granted the esteemed title of heir only if he successfully vanquishes an adult Asura before his return to the lesser continent."

A collective gasp filled the room as the weight of his challenge settled upon us. 

"However," Lord Claxter's scarlet eyes gleamed with unwavering determination, "I shall personally assume the responsibility of training Alistair, in addition to fulfilling my other duties, to ensure he attains his full potential and becomes the force we need him to be."

His words hung in the air, a pledge that carried both the weight of expectation and the promise of unwavering support. It was a testament to Lord Claxter's unwavering belief in my capabilities, as well as a reassurance to the clan that every effort would be made to cultivate my strength and readiness for the challenges that awaited.