Volume 2 Chapter 13 - Engagement

|Gary|

I looked around, surprised to find that everyone was staring at us.

'Looks like I went too far,' I thought as I clicked my tongue.

It seemed like everyone was mesmerised by our dance.

Everyone's mouths were wide open, including Lancelot and Rachel's.

'Were we that good?' I wondered internally before releasing the Princess from my embrace.

Her emotionless white face blushed red from the intimate contact, which would only cause more misunderstandings about our relationship.

What I did in the dance was illogical. An action that shouldn't have occurred under the influence of the Monarch's Indifference.

Thus, this means that the Princess was someone who manages to pass through my Monarch's Indifference and cause me to make an emotional move.

'This is dangerous,' I thought while internally frowning. If my theory was right, then Kathyln is dangerous for me.

'Is it the connection I draw between her and Amanda?' I theorised. For some reason, my body was reacting like I was meeting Amanda.

My mind kept on comparing the two of them, and this allowed my emotions to slip past Monarch's Indifference.

Unlike what some may believe, the F-rank skill wasn't perfectly dousing my emotions.

Emotions are simply chemical releases in the brain, and this skill was not destroying these chemicals. Rather, it was suppressing the effect these chemicals have on the mind.

Simply put, this skill was killing the feelings but not the emotions.

However, when a very powerful emotion is felt that causes a lot of chemical release, this skill is unable to suppress its effect or the feeling it creates.

This is why the illusion in the Death Talon Dungeon worked on me and why I made the illogical decision to speed up the dance with Kathyln.

The emotions are too strong to be suppressed, causing me to feel through Monarch's Indifference.

I, of course, did have feelings. I was able to feel after I learned the power of aether and could manually toggle the skill.

However, despite that, my feelings still never pervaded past my logic. My logic dictated I was to never make an idiotic or impulsive move no matter what.

Some may say that this was a bad thing, however, this is how I lived. I wanted to protect my family but I didn't want to dwell on dull things like feelings.

They were simply a hindrance.

However, my mind began having second thoughts after my dance with Kathyln. She stirred up the same emotions in me as Amanda, and my brain unconsciously began to think that perhaps it wasn't too bad to be feeling your emotions.

'What troublesome feelings,' I thought to myself as I tried to douse them with Monarch's Indifference. It was effective to a certain extent, and I felt my mind clear once again.

The nobles erupted into applause and cheers, snapping me out of my thoughts. The sound of clapping filled the grand ballroom, echoing off the high ceilings and marble floors.

Of course, it wasn't anything too crazy as the nobles remained dignified. However, I could tell that this applause was beyond just simple courtesy and carried some genuine appreciation.

'Were we truly that brilliant?' I wondered before taking Kathyln's hand and getting out on the dance floor.

Discreetly turning my head back, I saw the royal couple with shocked expressions on their face. The Queen was covering her face with a lucent fan, however, I could make out her surprise and amusement as our dance.