Volume 3 Chapter 6 - Classes and Professors II

[A/N: I messed up Kathyln's classes, she also has Practical Mana Manipulation.]

|Kathyln|

As I walked through the crowded hall, I sensed eyes on me as students recognised my uniform and appearance. On my way to my next class, Practical Mana Manipulation, I noticed that many students had bonded with creatures. Some bonds were unimpressive, like the horned rat on a student's shoulder, while others boasted larger and more impressive beasts.

Upon entering the classroom, I realized that its layout was quite different. The room was shaped like a miniature arena, with a battling platform at its centre, surrounded by a barrier field and rows of seats.

I spotted Arthur sitting in a seemingly random spot and decided to join him. "May I sit here?" I asked him, standing beside him.

"Of course," Arthur replied, moving his bag from the seat next to him so I could sit down. I gave him a slight bow before taking out my notes and carefully smoothing out my skirt.

Suddenly, Feyrith strode confidently towards us, drawing attention to himself. "Well, well, well. If it isn't Princess Kathyln and my rival, Arthur Leywin," he exclaimed.

'Arthur, his rival?' I wondered, 'With such a huge gap between the two of them? Well, it's not my place to interfere but that is still a bit comical.'

Arthur leaned his head on his hands and remarked, "You're quite loud this morning."

Feyrith harrumphed as he took a seat on Arthur's other side. "Well, it is a fine morning today. Didn't the commencement ceremony make you excited?" he said, his confidence unwavering.

"While it is a bit late into the morning, it is still technically the morning so...Good morning!" A rather upbeat, bulky man wearing light armour clapped to get everyone's attention. He looked more like a low-class adventurer instead of a professor but when I inspected his mana core level, I was surprised to see that he was at the light yellow stage.

'However, I could sense his core very easily even though we are at the same stage, this means his mana control is below mine,' I thought.

"Well, we have quite the crowd of students. I know my class is always popular but I'm honoured to have this many students! My name is Professor Geist. Welcome ladies and gents, and welcome DC officers. It is a privilege to have you in my class." I couldn't tell whether he was being sarcastic or not when he directed his little welcome at us but I chose to not mind it.

"This is Practical Mana Manipulation, or PMM as I like to call it. That means we will be doing things very practically! Practically, in my definition, means through example, because what better way to learn than through hands-on experience, right?" His deep bass voice boomed throughout the class, waking up anyone that might've still been sleepy, which included Arthur.

"I understand that most of you are first-years and that many of you have just awakened not too long ago. However, parents have been more and more dedicated in teaching their children as soon as they awaken before they even send them here, so even that assumption is mostly inaccurate. However, for the sake of equality, I shall assume that every first year is a beginner in mana manipulation, of course with the few exceptions, i.e. the three sitting right there." He pointed to the three of us while giving us a wink, drawing attention to us from everyone inside the room.

"I'm sure everyone, including myself, is curious as to what sort of level in ability our newly formed DC has. They are the ones that are going to be protecting the students here in this academy after all, right?" Several shouts of agreement spawned from around the room.

My brows twitched in annoyance at my usually expressionless face.

"Hmph! Well. if Professor Geist insists, I shall volunteer myself on behalf of the disciplinary committee to demonstrate the ability that our group, that was personally picked by the director, possesses." Feyrith got up from his seat and placed his right hand over his heart in a proud manner.