Volume 5 Chapter 11 - Sister

|Gary|

My footsteps echoed gently as I descended, arriving before the imposing edifice of the Whiteborn mansion. It had been an eternity since I last set foot within these hallowed walls, since the fateful day I revealed the secrets of my past existence to my parents.

In the intervening years, I had devoted myself tirelessly to propelling Dicathen's technological progress forward. Collaborating closely with visionary inventors and skilled artificers, I channeled my energies into pioneering groundbreaking innovations, heralding the era of trains, steamships, and mighty cannons.

With unwavering determination, I had invested countless hours into honing my skills and elevating my strength to unfathomable heights. In the realm of combat, I had surpassed my former adversaries, Jezebeth and Alexis, without a doubt, though that was only at the level they possessed several years ago.

Yet, a lingering sense of unease lingered within me. The enigmatic aura emanating from Alexis had proven elusive, and my mastery over aether remained incomplete. Despite the dual layers of my aether core, I yearned for a deeper understanding of the intricate edicts of aether, seeking to unlock new realms of power.

However, as I crossed the threshold of my family home, all concerns melted away in the warm embrace of familial love. The maids and my kin greeted me with open arms, their smiles radiating joy and familiarity.

My mother and father stood before me, unchanged in appearance, yet their eyes held a depth of emotion I had not witnessed before. Though their progress had plateaued, their formidable strength remained intact, a shield against most threats posed by lessers.

Amidst the joyful reunion, a burst of youthful energy catapulted towards me like a shooting star. It was none other than my little sister, her momentum culminating in a head-on collision with my stomach. With all her might, she enveloped me in a tight embrace, her tiny arms attempting to encircle me completely. Her appearance was a delightful blend of our parents' best features – my father's sleek, jet-black hair framing her adorable face, while her azure blue eyes mirrored our mother's captivating gaze.

 Her appearance was a delightful blend of our parents' best features – my father's sleek, jet-black hair framing her adorable face, while her azure blue eyes mirrored our mother's captivating gaze

"Brother!" she squealed with delight, her voice ringing like a chorus of happiness. Yielding to her enthusiasm, I scooped her up into my arms and twirled her around in a joyful dance.

"How is my precious little sister?" I asked, gently lowering her feet back to the ground and affectionately ruffling her hair. Her face lit up with a radiant smile, but soon she pouted and turned her head away, feigning annoyance.

"What's the matter?" I inquired, concern evident in my voice, as a shadow crossed my expression.

"You promised you would visit us four months ago, meanie," she huffed, still refusing to meet my gaze.

A heavy sigh escaped my lips, realizing the disappointment I had caused her. Determined to make amends, I knelt down to her level, attempting to coax her to look at me. Despite my efforts, she remained resolute, stubbornly avoiding my gaze.