Volume 5 Chapter 2 - Awakening

|Gary|

In an instant, it felt as if the world had come to a standstill as I tapped into a dormant power within. My once-grey hair underwent a radical transformation, turning an ethereal shade of white, while my amethyst eyes blazed with a piercing blue intensity. As I exhaled, a palpable drop in temperature permeated the entire cavern, announcing the awakening of my ice magic.

"The true battle has only just begun," I declared, my sword now infused with the potent energy of ice magic. Frost began to spread across the cavern, encasing the surroundings in an icy embrace.

Seris's eyes widened in surprise, her lips curling into a knowing smile. "You've piqued my interest," she acknowledged, the thrill of a formidable opponent evident in her voice. With newfound determination, we both launched ourselves towards each other, ready to engage in a clash of powers and skills.

Her black-purple flames flickered ominously, resembling the destructive power wielded by Jezebeth. It was a clear indication that this ability belonged to the Vritras, not limited to just one individual.

I channeled my ice magic, infused with the ethereal essence of aether, to counter her formidable flames. They posed a significant threat, capable of effortlessly devouring ordinary mana and posing a danger even to me if they made contact with my skin for too long.

Strangely, the flames emitted no heat, maintaining a frigid temperature within the cavern, complementing the chilling effect of my ice magic.

Our clash of swords reverberated through the air, a harmonious symphony of metallic echoes. Employing the refined techniques of the Levisha Style, I sought out weaknesses in her defenses. While her swordsmanship skills were undoubtedly inferior to mine, the unique transformation of her blade into a whip, combined with her superior strength, leveled the playing field. The battle hung in delicate balance, gradually tipping in her favor.

The realization dawned upon me that I needed to tap into the power of light magic to overcome my adversary. However, my current core stage had recently settled into the high silver stage, and I struggled to propel it further into the coveted white stage.

"You lack the strength!" Seris thundered, swiftly closing the gap between us. Nevertheless, I managed to unleash a devastating assault upon her using the awe-inspiring might of the Frost Keiki Style's Fourth Movement: Glacial World Splitter. The combination of ice, lightning and sound magic as well as spatium converged within the obsidian blade of Dusk's Shadowfang before being unleashed upon the Scythe.

Yet, just as my attack neared its target, an impenetrable barrier of formidable mana materialized, nullifying the entire onslaught. The sheer force of spatium tore through the barrier, but Seris skillfully maneuvered through the chaos to launch her own counterattack.

With her sword aimed at my heart, slicing through my protective lightning armor, I summoned the power to freeze time, buying me a precious moment to regroup. Gasping for breath, I seized the opportunity to swiftly evade her lethal strike, and just as I did, I resumed the flow of time.

A flicker of acknowledgment flashed across Seris' face, devoid of surprise at my temporal manipulation. Sensing the danger, she swiftly retreated, summoning black flames that erupted from the ground. Reacting swiftly, I channeled my ice magic, creating a frigid barrier to contain the infernal flames, preventing their spread and neutralizing their threat.

Aware of the dire circumstances, I weighed the options in my mind. The decision was not an easy one, for it carried both great risks and potential rewards. Losing my mana core was a daunting possibility, but so was the threat of imminent death if I failed to take action.