Volume 2 Chapter 4 - Discovery

|Third Person|

Gary stood in the midst of a bizarre dungeon, his senses tingling with the unmistakable presence of mana signatures. As he gripped the silver hilt of his sword, a translucent green shield of mana erupted around him, dispelling the darkness that enveloped him. The sounds of prowling beasts grew louder, prompting Gary to narrow his eyes and furrow his brows in anticipation.

'This is quite the peculiar dungeon,' he thought, taking note of the abundance of mana signatures surrounding him.

Without warning, Gary generated a swirling pulse of red lightning, which he unleashed towards the darkness. The beam of light caused the darkness to retreat, revealing a pack of Midnight Silverback Wolves with dark silver fur. Gary immediately recognized them as A-class beasts known for their use of wind magic and their ability to hunt in packs. They were capable of overwhelming even AA-class and S-class beasts if there were enough alphas to lead the pack.

Unfazed by the challenge before him, Gary assumed a fighting stance, his thumb resting on the hilt of his sword. He activated his primary core, which emanated a dull silver glow, and his yellow secondary core, which allowed him to siphon out basic wind and deviant lightning alongside blue fire magic. As he prepared to engage the pack of wolves, he recited all the information he had learned about them from the books he had read.

But as the wolves charged towards him like a tsunami, Gary remained unfazed, his stoic expression unchanged. With lightning-fast reflexes, he executed the second movement of Keiki Style, the Horizon Splitting Splitter. His sword sliced through the wolves with ease, tearing them apart like a hot knife cutting through butter. The battle was over before it even began, and Gary couldn't help but shake his head at how easily he had dispatched the A-class beasts.

However, his moment of triumph was short-lived. Suddenly, a powerful mana signature entered his sensory range, causing Gary to whip his head around. Without hesitation, he fired a bolt of lightning towards the source, revealing a giant two-headed beast.

"Hades Serpent?" he muttered, his analytical mind immediately assessing the situation. "But shouldn't that beast have blue flames?"

|Gary|

I regarded the giant beast before me with interest, noting its black flames with a sense of curiosity. Hades Serpent was classified as an AA-class beast, but there was something different about this one. Its mana signature felt erratic and more powerful than any AA-class beast I had encountered before.

"Interesting," I muttered, my brow furrowing as I observed the beast. I couldn't wait to dissect it and uncover the source of its black flames.

Suddenly, the serpent let out a roar, unleashing waves of black flames towards me. Without hesitation, I conjured a dome of water and wind mana around me, watching as the flames crashed against the shield, slowly eating away at my mana reserves.

Determined to experiment further, I siphoned more mana to strengthen the shield before conjuring blue flames to clash against the serpent's black flames. The two types of flames fought fiercely, swirling around each other as they both tried to gain the upper hand. Ultimately, the black flames proved victorious.

Undeterred, the serpent charged towards me, its jaws open wide as it prepared to devour me. Without a change in expression, I calmly placed my thumb on the hilt of my sword. With a crash, my shield shattered, and I almost saw a look of triumph on the beast's face as it closed its jaws around me.

With a fluid motion, I executed the third movement of the Keiki Style: Void Step, my body flickering as I moved at an incredible speed that left most mages baffled. As I reappeared far behind the beast, a smirk tugged at my lips as I deftly caught the black horns that had fallen to the ground.