Volume 5 Chapter 5 - Epheotus

|Arthur|

Exiting the golden column of light, I stepped into the realm of asuras, devoid of any emotional response. The land they inhabited surpassed my expectations, challenging my preconceived notions. Unlike the practical homes of influential figures in my previous world, this realm boasted structures shaped by the land itself, devoid of unnecessary adornments. It felt as if I had been transported to an alien planet, where the earth itself sculpted dwellings fit for habitation.

The towering castle in front of us seemed to have been birthed from the earth itself as there were neither signs nor indications that it had been shaped or molded. Sophisticated designs and runes made from what looked like precious minerals covered the walls of the castle that stood high enough to be seen from kilometers away. The trees bent and tangled together in arches to create a corridor that led to the entrance atop a bridge, shimmering in an array of translucent colours.

Windsom had transported us on top of a mountain cluttered with trees that reminded me of cherry blossoms. The familiar trees were in full bloom, with shimmering pink petals that seemed to dance as they floated down to the ground. The vibrant bridge that stretched out in front of us led to another mountain of which the castle seemed to have been carved from. Evidently, the mountain was pretty high up as the clouds covered everything underneath the bridge, with two mountain peaks that stuck out like two islands in an ocean of hazy white.

"Welcome to Epheotus, or more specifically, the Indrath Clan's castle." Windsom walked towards the castle, stepping on the bridge of precious minerals that any mortal king would wage wars for, before glancing back and beckoning me to follow.

Alistair and I followed the asura, stepping onto the incandescent bridge without any visible reaction to its semi-translucent, stained glass-like appearance.

"So, this is the Indrath Clan's domain," I stated flatly, as we walked alongside Windsom, progressing towards the castle.

"Yes, Lord Indrath has requested our presence upon arrival," the asura responded. Windsom, usually composed and detached, anxiously smoothed out the creases on his robe, exhibiting unexpected emotions.

The entrance to the colossal castle was appropriately grand. Towering not only over a thirteen-year-old like myself but seemingly capable of accommodating giants and dragons, befitting the homeland of the latter.

Alistair glanced around the open doors, his curiosity evident. "No guards or watchmen?" he questioned.

"They were observing us as we crossed the bridge," the asura responded, his tone indicating the obviousness of the situation. "We should proceed. Lord Indrath does not appreciate delays."

A brief flicker of surprise passed through me, swiftly suppressed as I observed Alistair's reaction. He turned to locate the guards, a hint of realization crossing his features.

'So, that was the source of my earlier perception,' I noted silently.

The castle's interior matched the grandeur of its exterior, boasting ceilings that soared unnecessarily high, with arches hewn from the very heart of the mountain. The walls themselves were adorned with intricate detailing, as if they whispered ancient tales. However, despite its vastness, an eerie silence permeated the air.

"This way. The Indrath Clan awaits your presence," Windsom directed, his restless demeanor betraying his unease as he continuously adjusted his attire while we walked.

"The entire clan?" Alistair exclaimed, clearly taken aback by the revelation.

"Yes, now please, let us not delay any further," the asura sighed, leading the way down a particularly foreboding corridor.