Volume 2 Chapter 15 - Birthday

|Arthur|

The ballroom inside the Helstea Manor had been lavishly decorated with colourful string tapestries hung along with other fine embellishments on the tables and stage to match. The elaborate placement of the orbs that made up the chandelier sparkled, creating a serene ambience as the guests started entering through the towering front doors.

I was dressed very formally for the special birthday party the Helsteas and my family decided to throw for Ellie. While this world did have formal wear that was very similar to tuxedos from my old world, this world did not have ties. Instead of ties, handkerchiefs were wrapped underneath the collar and tied fashionably.

Since the ballroom was located in the opposite wing from our rooms, Ellie had no idea that we were throwing her this party. She was under the assumption that both of our families were going out to a fancy restaurant so she was excitedly getting ready with our mother and Lilia, who came back for the occasion.

"Welcome. Please come in." Putting on a gentlemanly smile, I welcomed my little sister's lady friends she met at school, a duty I was assigned by my mother and one I wasn't too fond of. Met with shy giggles and red faces, I kept a gentle smile on as more and more guests started trickling out of their carriages, accompanied by a driver and a chaperone.

The attendees of my sister's party consisted of her female friends, the female friends' chaperones, which were an older group of people, and either my parents' friends or Vincent and Tabitha's friends. By eight in the evening, most of the people on the list had arrived and my mother notified the maid that she and my sister would be coming down shortly.

Suddenly, a royal carriage came into my view. It was one I had seen before, in the kingdom of Elenoir.

My eyes widened in shock as the carriage skidded to a stop, and two familiar figures got off. A girl I knew too well came into my sight. The unmistakable gunmetal silver hair that reflected the gave her a serene glow alongside her peachy-cream complexion. Her round, turquoise eyes were capable of capturing everyone's hearts, but I was sure that they were meant for only one person.

There was an elven boy behind her, his crimson eyes smiling as he looked at me with joy. His face was soft and delicate, adorned with snow-white hair on the top. However, his adolescent body was well-built through hours of effort and pouring sweat and blood.

"It's been a long time, Arthur," the two of them said as they both grinned.

A smile appeared on my face as I hugged the two of them. We caught up as the two told me about their tutelage under Director Goodsky and I told them about my adventuring.

Deciding to go in, everyone was shocked when they saw the two royals of elves at the birthday party.

The nobles began murmuring about our relationship and some shot envious looks towards us.

"You guys are quite popular," I whispered to the two of them who just giggled in response.

"Everyone, please get ready! Lady Alice and Eleanor are both on their way here!" The maid announced as she signalled to turn the lights off.

"...Mama, I thought we were going to go out for dinner? Where are we..."

"SURPRISE!" a synchronised chorus of voices exclaimed.

With the chandelier sparkling on and an array of artefacts popping off in colourful lights, my little sister's confused face turned from initial surprise to pure joy. Her eyes widened and her cheeks blushed red as her hands instinctively went to cover her gaping mouth.

She didn't have too long to indulge in her moment of astonishment as her school lady friends all ran up to her and gave her hugs, almost carrying her away along with Lilia, giving me a meaningful gaze before disappearing.