Fresh Start

New morning, fresh start

Fresh start with a very handsome man sleeping beside me.

I should surprise him with breakfast. Deciding to, I glide out of the bed quietly and to the bathroom.

Ofp, fresh start with a hell of a pain in my jaw.

And a lovely bruise.

Fantastic.

Maybe room service after all?

No.

I won't hide away. I've done nothing wrong. I have nothing to be ashamed of, besides letting the wrong man too close.

Right?

I hope. But I don't reflect on it, throwing on some clothes and heading for a breakfast treat. A little concealer can fix a lot.

The elevator doors open to reveal none other than Max, also on his way down.

My concealer must not have done that well, because his jaw hangs open at the look of me. "Shit." He breathes, taking in my bruise.

"That bad?" I run my hand over it, getting on with him. Fuck. I should have done a better job.

"No," He's lying now "I heard. Fuck that guy."

You can say that again.

"I had him arrested." My words meet his approval with a small smile.

"Where are you off to?"

"Picking up breakfast, join me?"

"Okay, Charles sleeping?" Max questions his absence.

"Mhmm," He'd come in really late. "I'll bring him take away. Nice race yesterday by the way!"

"Should you be saying that to enemy?" Max teases while we fall in lock steep down the street.

Oh, if only he knew. I owe Max a lot.

Lucky to have him as a friend.

"Don't tell Charles" I warn and we both laugh, falling into easy racing conversation both there and back.

"So, what changes do you want to make?" He asks as we near the hotel discussing the Ferrari team.

A loaded question indeed.

Papá had given me a lot of free reign, only suggesting a make a hire that is loyal to me snd has a passion for card as soon as possible. Also a loaded issue. I've never hired anyone before.

Don't even know where to start.

But dreams for the garage? I have those a plenty.

"I want a female driver."

"So you'll get rid of Charles? Thank fuck!" The dutchmen teases.

"I think my dreams are bigger than my reality." Confessing with a sigh. There aren't many women in the field yet, and even less with the qualifications.

"You're wrong on that one." Max encourages as the elevator chimes for my floor.

I hope he's right.

"Have a good one Max." I exit and wave farewell.

He smiled in return as the doors close, already having given me a lot to think about.

A good start to the morning indeed.

"Amore mio?" Charles notices my absence when the door clicks behind me, pulling me out of my head.

"I'm here." Answering with a sigh and coming around to see him. Wiping the sleep from his eyes, but handsome as ever. His sleepiness rapidly turns to excitement when he realizes the bag in my hand.

Instantly fading when he looks up at my face, taking in my already formed bruise with the same word Max had "Shit."

"Don't mention it," I groan, not pleased with these reactions "But I did have him arrested."

"Good. I hope he rots." Charles is spitting mad still I see. Pursing his lips and reaching for the bag of food. Depositing it at his feet, I slip back into the bed next to him.

I don't want to think about Jay anymore.

"Sorry about the race, next week."

"I hope so. I fucked it this week." He grimaces at the mere memory of it as he pulls out his food.

"You didn't fuck it Charles" He's always so hard on himself, but I'd hardly call P3 a fuck up. Most drivers work be thrilled with that.

"I did. I was in my head."

In his head.

After he had just pulled me away from Jay, through the press and talked me out of a panic attack.

I can't help but feeling like it was my fault he was in his head.

Because of course it was.

"I'll stay out of the garage next week." I decide for the both of us. His career was always what came first to him, and I need to respect that.

"Okay." He agrees and with it my stomach sinks.

So I am a distraction.

Keeping him from his dreams.

Fantastic.

Feels like a punch to the gut, and he has no clue. Just eating away like nothing even happened.

And for him, nothing did.

He'd never come out and tell me.

But that doesn't mean it's any less true.