Coming Up Empty

The skip is back in my step by the time race day get's here

Feels like I'm walking in sunshine. Charles qualifies at the top, and it's looking like we're rolling into one of our best weekends yet. With only two races left, if both Ferrari's manage to podium today we'll have enough points to take home the Constructor's over Redbull. Everything is on the line.

Making it a race papá cannot miss.

There's a feeling of hope soaring through the garage all weekend, and now that race day is here it's electric just walking into the paddock.

Floating all the way to the garage, I can't keep the smile off my face. We're teeming with visitors today that gives me the perfect distraction from Charles for the morning. Skimming the crowd I don't see papá yet... But I'm shocked at what I do see.

Jay.

Oh shit.

I forgot to pull his passes for this weekend.

I can't believe I forgot.

Kill me now, this is the last thing I wanted to deal with today.

I'm shocked he showed. We haven't spoken since I ran away from his proposal. And now he's at my work event. I put him on the last back way back at the start of the season when I was hoping it was close enough to home he'd actually show up for me. He's always showing up when it's too late.

And slightly inappropriate at the least.

You sure as hell wouldn't catch me using my sideline passes to his games anymore.

But he is clearly not as bright as I once thought. Or maybe he's just crueler that I realized.

I don't know.

Either way, I know I just address it. I've made public spectacle enough of him lately, and having security remove him will only fuel that fire.

So big girl panties on and with a deep breath I head over to greet the man who asked me to marry him.

"Fancy seeing you here." I greet, unable to force myself to smile like planned as I pull him from his conversation.

Jay looks down at me, not a glint of happiness passing between us.

Ugh.

"Yes." He gives me as little as possible, just as always.

I can't believe I used to confuse his lack of caring for a good thing. I liked that he let me be free, but now I see it was only from his lack of concern.

It's like talking to a brick wall.

All I want is to make this smooth and get away from him. So I ask an easy one "Eccuted about the race today?" hoping for more than one word.