Not So Happy Birthday

I don't dare

I don't dare.

Instead I find myself at my own not so surprise party in Italy. Dressed in all black again, I have to say I'm impressed. Papá has always known how to throw a party, or well, how to pay a party planner to do so but this year he's truly outdone himself.

He rented out the Brera Observatory and it's an absolute crush of people when we arrive in the atrium. I can't believe the thoughtfulness of his venue choice, I don't even recall the last time I went star gazing with him.

The drinks are flowing and there's even a pastries bar! It's absolute heaven.

Charles is here, I feel it the second I walk in the room. I'm dying to see him. Dying to see what present he gave me.

But I have to be patient, not a virtue I naturally posses. So instead I make the rounds with Papá, kissing cheeks and smoozing with all the people he wants.

I'm so glad to be on his arm.

So glad to be home.

The air smells different here. The stars look brighter here. Each person speaking italian like a hug for the soul.

I'm happy, the happiest I've been in a long time.
Maybe ever.

Papá tires of the social circles and retires to a table, freeing me up to hunt down the man whose gaze I've been feeling all evening.

Drink in hand, skip in my step I make a beeline towards Charles.

"Ciao," I greet him with double kisses just like everyone else, but not like everyone else I find myself hot to the touch. "How are you both enjoying the evening?" I ask turning to kiss Carlos and Max who accompany him as well.

I am surprised to see Max here, but I have a one track mind at the minute.

"Not as much as I'll enjoy the after party." Charles teases. Carlos laughs it off, but I can't help the flush in my cheeks from his promise.

"It's very nice," Carlos adds "I've never been to an observatory before."

The Ferrari boys are both looking handsome and tanned as ever. In matching white button downs with the Ferrari symbol and jeans they almost look related. Like distant cousins perhaps. Max is the odd man out, navy suit to boot. Not the most talkative guy, he only nods in agreement with Carlos.

"You must see from the scope then!" I encourage Carlos and thankfully he agrees, taking Max with him and making themselves scarce.

Leaving me alone with the one man who can make my heart pounding out of its chest with just a glance.

At last.

For a while we just stand there, glazing at each other.

Daring. Hoping.

"Mi sono persa nei tuoi occhi," Charles gives me the best compliment of the night with a sly smile.

His compliment enough to give me the courage to ask "How much of last night do you remember?"