The Reunion Part 315: Magic

Magic hugged her knees to her chest. There was a nice bed right beside her, but she didn't want to sleep in it out of pure spite. She didn't want to eat out of spite either, or drink, but that was hard, and she always gave in eventually.

She didn't know how long it had been since the Season 29 finale, but she estimated about a month. Time was longer now, and they weren't sure whether she enjoyed it or not.

On the bright side, there were toilets and hot showers and chicken nuggets again. Her dad had taken them back home, if you can call it that. She would spend most of her time in her room, either thinking to herself, drawing, or watching her friends on her phone. The series (every point of view) was on multiple TV networks, which made it easy to view. It made her sad to see the many things she missed. The many things she could've changed.

She knew she could walk out of the house at any time, but watchers would be trailing her wherever she went, if they didn't stop her immediately. There was no escape.

An odd taping on her window coaxed her up from her position on the floor. She turned around to the window, opening it and looking around. They breathed in the crisp fall air, frowning as a couple brown leaves blew into her room. She turned around to pick them up, grumbling.

Magic tossed the leaves outside and closed the window, putting all her rage behind the throw. The leaves barely flew a few feet before being taken by the wind somewhere else.

Magic angrily slammed the window shut, putting her forehead to the window. She wished that when she fell asleep she would wake up back in the clearing, with Graecie, Acho, Kyle, heck, even Krow, Bek, and...

Owen. The Owen she knew in that maze... the one that wouldn't come back.

A cold shiver flew up her spine and fizzed out in her brain.

Must be dad messing with the chip again, she thought, turning around and walking towards her bed again.

She ran right into something and fell. Or rather, as she found when she looked up from the floor, someone.

She opened her mouth to scream, but they knelt down with her and tried to shush her.

"Hey, hey, it's okay, please don't scream. I don't want to hurt you."

That voice. It sounded so familiar, but she hadn't heard it in months. Not since Apo died. There was no way. He was dead.

"Owen?" she said quietly.

Owen cautiously took off his hood.

"Hi, Magic..." he said awkwardly.

Magic stared at him. He was barely recognizable. Burn scars covered his right side, including his hand and wrist, and Magic was guessing they went all the way down to his feet. Owen had an eye patch over his right eye that had messy orange embroidering, and she also guessed it was functional. Magic had never seen him without his green shirt. This Owen had a gray long sleeve shirt with tan cargo pants, but seemingly the same white shoes. He was also wearing a brown satchel, and a black cloak with an orange interior color. He also had a necklace hanging from a silver chain. It had an orange jewel inside, with a fire themed silver border. Magic could've sworn she saw it sparkle unnaturally several times.

The two sat together in silence for a while, Magic just staring open mouthed at Owen.

Owen spoke first after Magic didn't say anything. "Look, Magic, I'm sorry. I'm sorry for yelling at you, and trying to manipulate you, and for hurting you. I understand if you don't forgive me, but..."

Owen got cut off when Magic leapt at him for a hug. He didn't hug back for a few seconds, but then Magic felt him embrace her, too. They sat on the floor hugging for a minute or so, Magic silently crying into Owen's shoulder.

Owen was the first to pull back, standing up and pulling Magic up with him.

"There's somewhere where your father won't be able to hurt you ever again. Where you'll be safe. Where everyone else is." Magic looked at him in disbelief.

"Everyone else is there?"

"Yeah, didn't you hear? They all escaped somehow.," Owen smiled mischievously. Magic gave him a questioning look before asking,

"Wait, how do I sneak out of here? My father has watchers everywhere."

Owen simply kept smiling, turning towards the wall. He grasped his necklace, and took a deep breath. Orange wisps started flying out of the necklace towards the wall, circling around themselves and creating a blinding light.

Owen nodded towards the floating circle.

Magic backed away from the portal. "How did you- What is that thing?"

"It's our ticket home. Now come on, befo-"

Owen was cut off when an arrow whizzed by his shoulder. Suddenly, the door burst down and there stood two watchers, crossbows drawn.

"Hands up!" One of them shouted at them.

Owen slowly raised his hands in the air.

The watchers slowly stalked towards them, still holding the crossbows up and at the ready.

Magic's head spun. She was so close to freedom. She wasn't going to let it go now.

In a moment of sheer desperation, she grabbed Owen's wrist and bolted through the circle of light, pulling him behind her, just as she heard the watchers crossbows go off.