A History of Magic: Owen

Apo had so much energy. Owen didn't know where it was coming from. Every room that Apo dragged him around to, Apo would explain what it was used for really fast, then drag him by the arm somewhere else.

They finally got to a room that looked like where everyone slept. There were many little alcoves in the wall, surrounding a fireplace and a couple benches, couches, and cushioned chairs.

Plants seemed to grow everywhere here, there were vines reaching up from the floor and down from the ceiling. Apo had explained that it was Daisy's doing. "Anywhere she goes, nature goes with her," he had said.

Apo walked Owen over to one of the small spaces in the wall. The entrance was the size of a slightly smaller doorway, and the inside was maybe the size of the average bathroom. Small. A bed with orange sheets was in the corner, perfectly set. There was a nightstand next to it, with an oil lamp on it. There were pegs on the walls, some of them holding small shelves that held books. The others were for hanging things like weapons or pictures. There was floor space for about one person, two if you crammed them in. Apo sat on the bed and let Owen take it in.

"This is where you'll be sleeping. Do you like it? I told Emmy your favorite color. She made the bed. You can hang whatever you want on here," he said, fingering the pegs on the wall, "and the oil lamp smells like flowers."

Owen looked around the room, smiling. "Yea. It's nice." Apo smiled at his approval.

"People will start coming in soon, although not everyone. We might be out of the maze, but none of us have a solid sleeping schedule still," Apo said, laughing to himself. "Anything else you need to know?"

Owen thought about it. "Actually, I was wondering if you could explain to me..." He cut off, realizing there was no good way to explain what he was talking about. "Everything? About magic, and how it was hidden from us this long."

Apo's face lit up. "Really? You didn't strike me as the type to like history, but I finally have someone to talk to about this!" Apo started to eagerly explain the full history of the world of magic. "It all started a long time ago when humans and mythical creatures lived in harmony with each other. The mythical creatures had a queen that ruled over them. Queen Luminia. She was the most powerful being alive by far. She was tens of times more powerful than Emmy, and you've seen Emmy in action. They say she was a majestic white dragon, with a purple jewel on her head, adorned with purple jewelry of all kinds. Her secondary color was purple, if you couldn't tell." Owen laughed as Apo smiled, pleased with the reaction. He was so happy that they were getting along again.

"Continuing on," Apo said, "She had a vision one day, a vision that told her her time was being cut short on the earth. She didn't fight it. The queen knew it was a message from the spirits. So Luminia gave her gifts and power to different species, giving them each unique powers that would help them thrive in this world." Apo paused to make sure Owen was still listening. He looked on with interest.

"She gave the gift of fire to demons, the gift of water to mermaids and sirens, the gift of nature to jackalopes and fairies, and the gift of wind to the winged creatures. The rocs, the perytons, the hippogriffs, the griffins all got the wind gift. She gave some gifts to only certain parts or sub-classes of species that she created. She gifted the magic of sunlight to most elves. Most importantly, the gift of death. She gave that to a subclass of elves, ghostly elves. If you can't tell, she favored the elves," Apo finished, grinning. Owen let out a laugh before re-focusing on Apo.

"The werewolves wanted the death gift for themselves and were mad at Queen Luminia for not giving it to them. I say them, as if there were more than one."

Owen interrupted to question the aforementioned sentence before getting quieted by Apo continuing to talk. "Really, all the werewolves are mind controlled by one powerful wolf, whose name is... I can't remember, but oh well. He is very smart, but the mind control loses brain cells the farther down the ranks you go, so most drones have no brain."