Special Chapter 4 (or What was sent to Boss)

Kavin was never really into celebrating his birthday.  Hard to believe since he registers as extroverted and there was a huge chunk of his life when he was an undeniable party boy.

But he found it mostly tedious. He felt awkward when everyone sang him
Happy Birthday while he just stood there with a smile plastered on his face.

And as he got into his twenties, especially in his line of work, he mostly just celebrated by himself and a bottle of beer.

He thought he preferred it that way.

But as Thyme kneels in front of him, cake in hand and rose in mouth - Kavin finds he has changed his mind.

He prefers this.

Kavin takes the cake from Thyme's hands. Thyme holds the rose and he begins to softly sing to Kavin.

"Happy birthday to you...happy...birthday...to you..."

Kavin was aware that they were filming this for posterity. A little video to remember his birthday. So he stopped himself from flinging himself into Thyme's arms and instead just grins at him like a fool.

"Happy birthday my Kavin. Happy birthday to you..."

Kavin bends down and gives the candle a gentle blow. The flame wavers then disappears, leaving behind a faint trail of smoke that reflects on Thyme's impossibly dark eyes.

"Did you make a wish?"

Kavin simply nods his head.

"I hope you like the cake. I had it made at your favorite bakery."

Kavin gets a dollop of the buttercream on his finger and smears it on Thyme's regal nose.

He kisses the icing away, the sweetness of the yuzu and vanilla tasting divine against Thyme's smooth skin.

"I love it," he whispers as he swallows the confection.

Thyme moves closer, still on his knees. He braces his hands against Kavin's thighs and leans forward and upwards, gently kissing the corner of Kavin's mouth.

"There was cake," he explains, licking his own lips.

Kavin laughs. And as always, it involves his whole face. His eyes forming moons, his mouth moving upwards, his chin wobbling slightly, his teeth in full display, folds of skin forming little dimples and rivets.

It was one of the best things about him.

A laugh that was contagious.
You felt your very soul light up.

It made Thyme fall in love all over again

How much deeper was he going to fall for this man who was not ready?

Thyme didn't know, but he was in too deep to back out.

He can't live without that smile anymore.

Kavin was his heart, walking outside his body.