Chapter 19

Wei Chen was not present in the auction party, instead he put in his bid online. Which was not unusual as most rich patrons bought their art from different corners of the globe and had no time to waste on frivolous parties.

What was unusual was Wei Chen was paying with cash and in person. A billion dollars in cash. In person. It was unheard of.

What was even more unusual was rich art patrons ordinarily bought their art anonymously or through trusted personal assistants. But Wei Chen used his real name and arrived by himself to Gallery Akira.

Of course Khao and Boss did a quick background check on the man currently conversing with Thyme and Kavin at the main boardroom. Was he even the real Wei Chen?

It only took a minute to verify.

Because Wei Chen was apparently not only rich but incredibly famous in the gaming crowd. A Twitch celebrity.

No weapons showed up on their hidden infrared cameras either. There seemed to be no armed guards following him. Everything seemed so normal that it wasn't.

Thyme and Kavin kept the small talk up. Laughing at all the billionaire's jokes. They walk him all the way back to his old school 1955 Jaguar D-Type - a car meant for showing off, not for out running authorities.

Wei Chen gets in and gives them a salute. Then drives off, his loud EDM music filling the night air.

Kavin and Tyme look at each other. Then pensively walk back to the Chief and Boss.

"I don't like how that felt. But we have no reason to arrest or even question him," Kavin says, more to himself than anyone else.

"Why don't we tail him?"

The Chief sees the two men and hears Thyme's suggestion. "That's illegal,son. We are still the police. And our necks would be fried faster than nuggets if a billionaire complains about us to any of his politician pals."

Thyme chews on his bottom lip.
As he thinks, his eyes trail towards Kavin. The other's eyebrows were furrowed and was absentmindedly chewing on the handles of his eyeglasses.

It reminds Thyme of high school days

It reminds Thyme of high school days. How Kavin would play with his glasses whenever he was deep in thought. Whether it be during biology finals or when planning to outsmart the hidden bodyguards following them around a - wait that's it.

"Chief, what if it's not a tail? What if it's an escort?"

"What do you mean?"

Kavin's eyes light up. "That's an amazing idea. Chief, we can escort Wei Chen home. After all, he bought a billion dollar sculpture. It would be the perfect excuse to give him protection as he drives home or wherever the hell he plans on going."

"Exactly. If he catches us tailing him, we just tell him it's a security escort service my gallery provides buyers."

Fong gives it a moments thought. "Fine. But the first hint of trouble, leave. No heroics."