Chapter 17

Fong Khao Thanawat has been Deputy Chief of Police for a decade now. A distinction not usually bestowed upon gay men and definitely not usually bestowed on someone so young. His stellar rise through the ranks may have left some lesser toxic men in the force feeling bitter but none of them could ever question his appointment. No one has a better work ethic than Chief Fong.

Sting operations? Stakeouts? Following the paper trail? There is no one on Earth that can be more meticulous than he.

Except for a man doing everything to avoid discussing three little words he mistakenly let slip out while delirious with fever.

Kavin Kittiyangkul was like a man possessed.

Always at the station. Always scouring for new evidence. Always first to volunteer to run errands or follow the smallest of leads.

These were things Fong didn't mind in the beginning. But this morning? He wanted to suspend Kavin indefinitely.

It was five in the morning and the man was already calling his personal number. His personal home number.

And not only was it way too early to listen to this man's babbling for an event more than twelve hours away, First was glaring at Fong like he was about to be exiled from their bed for a week.

It was Saturday morning after all and Saturday mornings were sacred for First. It was their coffee-time, their catch-up-time and here Fong Khao was ruining it before the sun could even rise.

"Kavin, for the love of God, don't you and Thyme have better things to do at 5am?"

"Thyme? Why should I do anything with Thyme?"

Ah. So a lover's quarrel. His life is about to be torn to shreds by the already sulking First because Kavin and Thyme were having a lover's quarrel. "Isn't he your boyfriend? Or if I am to believe tabloids your fiancé'?"

"He's not."

"What do you mean he's not?," the Deputy Chief snaps, as he massages the bridge of his nose. It was way too early to navigate someone else's love problems. 

A moment of silence from the other end. "I mean he's not...awake."

"And what made you think I was?"

Another moment of silence. "But the operation is..."

"Kavin. Look. I admire the dedication. But we have done all we can to plan for the auction. All that's left to do is to help set up and inspect the artwork arriving later. That's ten hours from now. If you don't get some rest, you will not be on your best later and god knows we all need to be at our best later."

"I'll head to the station and run through the plan."

"Kavin that's not - "

First grabs the phone from his husband's hands. "Kavin Kittiyangkul, correct? This is First."

Kavin stutters. "Oh hi. Yes. Uh...Sir?"

"Seeing as you insist to barge into the only time I have with my Khao, I demand you come over and help me cook breakfast."

"What? But-"

"If you value your career you will wake up your boyfriend and make sure the both of you are in my kitchen beating eggs in the next 15 minutes."

"But - "

"Fifteen minutes. Am I clear Detective?"

"Yes, sir."

First smiles. "Good. Now get off the phone and get here."

Kavin stares at the phone in his hand dumbfounded. What the hell just happened?

It beeps and a text message preview appears on his screen. 'NOW KAVIN'.

Kavin curses under his breath. So much for avoiding Thyme.

The man on the other end of the phone looks pleased with himself. He hands the phone back to his husband.

Fong smiles at First

Fong smiles at First. Fucking hell his husband was hot when he's authoritative.

"So, we're having guests this morning?," Fong smiles.

"Better than having that phone of yours ring every five minutes."

"You know, it will be sometime before those two arrive.."

First rolls his eyes. "Fifteen minutes is not a lot of time."

"I can think of some things I can do to you in fifteen minutes..."

"Khaooo..."

"Mmm especially if you keep saying my name like that..."

"Don't you get any ideas!"

Fong Khao pushes First back into bed. "Too late, Love."