Chapter 26

Olga chokes on her popcorn.
The triumph on screen quickly devolving into horror.

Around her, world leaders and billionaires have evacuated- their senior staff quietly slipping them into jets and speed boats, making sure no law enforcement or press could ever tie them to this meeting.

All of them disappear except the Russian Czar. After all, he has already spent a billion on this product and although a billion was nothing to him and his estate, the Czar didn't like spending for nothing.

He didn't like being taken for a fool.

Those foolish enough to try have always paid with their life.

And Olga as beautiful as she was.
As close as her family was to the royal family.
She will not be spared.

The Czar was nothing if not fair.

He approaches her, revolver already in hand.

His security detail fidget as they see media helicopters beginning to circle the building, no doubt beginning to deploy all sorts of cameras and microphones. But none of them dared get in the way of the positively livid Czar. They liked living, thank you very much.

The Czar raises the gun and Olga laughs.

"Die happy. I admire that thinking," the Czar says cooly.

"I cannot die," Olga scoffs, incapable of feeling defeat.

"I thought you only sold mind control, are you saying you also cracked the code for immortality?," the Czar sneers, sarcasm dripping from his words like venom

"I cannot die because you cannot kill me."

"Do you know how guns work?"

"Haha. Do you know how the international press works? You are the leader of Russia. You are 100 meters away from a UN meeting. You may be able to rid yourself of enemies in the privacy of our county. But you cannot murder in foreign land and in broad daylight."

Olga moves ever so slightly to her left, putting her in view of the helicopters circling the building.

She smiles her cat like smile.
The smile of someone who has never known defeat.

"Your Highness, we have to move," the Russian head of security says. They needed to get their Czar to safety.

Olga waves her little fingers at the Czar.

"You cannot die? Good. Spend your life in jail then." And without another word, the Czar puts 2 bullets in both Olga's knee caps.

Olga falls to the floor.

The Czar disappears.

But Olga wouldn't be alone for long.

FBI, SWAT and the entire Thai police force would be with her in seconds.

In another part of the city Fong refuses to stay put in the ER.

He was causing pandemonium, not wanting to sit still. Not being able to sit still even if he tried.

And Kavin understood. He understood perfectly.

So he and Thyme asked the doctors for permission and asked the task force heads to just give Fong some time. They'd watch him. They won't let him get into any harm.

They accompany the distraught deputy chief to the 19th floor. Hand in hand they lead him to a big glass door at the very end of the corridor.

Immediately, Fong crumples to the floor, finally letting himself cry.

Inside the room was First.
Eyes closed.
Tubes and wires and machines around him.
But he was alive.
And that was all the hope Fong needed.

Kavin and Thyme keep their distance, letting Fong feel everything he needed to feel.

Kavin was quiet and ramrod still, trying his best to keep his tears at bay. But there it was again, those warm hands intertwining with his. Thumb gently caressing his knuckles.

He glances at Thyme and finds him already looking at his direction.

Kavin's tears fall.