Chapter 22

Thyme threw away the gun in his hands - useless now from the lack of bullets

Kavin staggers backwards, panting hard from dodging.

"Thyme! Stop it! Wake up Thyme!," he yells. But it's as if Thyme could not hear him.

Instead of stopping, Thyme strides over to where Kavin was and pushes him like a rag doll onto a nearby wall. His hands close on Kavin's neck and he begins to squeeze.

Kavin wanted to keep calling out Thyme's name but he could not breathe, let alone speak. Thyme doesn't even blink as Kavin struggles under his weight. And that is when realization dawns on Kavin.

He was too late.

Whoever it was in front of him now, this wasn't Thyme. This wasn't them man he loved. The Thyme he loved wasn't capable of violence. The Thyme he loved would rather die than see him hurt.

Finally, Kavin's training kicks in.

His leg juts upwards, kneeing Thyme in the groin.

This effectively loosens Thyme's grip on Kavin and Kavin uses that momentum to uppercut into Thyme's gut. The man takes a step backward, dry heaving with pain.

Kavin moves fluidly to deliver a stomp to his chest.

But Thyme is fast to roll over and as he moves pulls on Kavin's ankle, twisting it and slamming Kavin to the ground.

Thyme has the upper hand now and he begins to stand up, determined to end the man currently crawling on the floor.

Kavin is desperately dragging himself towards the knife he can see glinting just a few meters away - the one that Thyme had dropped previously. The one with Olga's name carved on the hilt.

Olga. That absolute motherfucker. The slippery siren was long gone now - off to enslave the minds of whoever she pleases with her fucking bioweapon.

Kavin should be stopping her.
That's the job.

But he wasn't even sure he could survive this.

Or if he wanted to.

His hands close in on the knife just before Thyme's punch lands on his face.

And despite the blood now spurting off his nose, Kavin is able to plunge the blade in Thyme's arm. Thyme screams in pain as Kavin twists it making sure to render that arm useless.

He draws the knife back and watches Thyme drop to the floor.

"Had enough?," Kavin yells at Thyme who was groaning in pain. "Can we fucking stop now?"

But robot-Thyme is not done - not until he has completed his orders. So he tries to stand up again.

But every time he could even get an inch off the floor, Kavin kicks him back down.