thirty-two

-

-

Rhaenyra walked back toward her children before turning to her father. Daella watched as Viserys set his cane against the throne.

"I must... admit... my confusion. I do not understand why petitions are being heard over a settled succession." He said, making Daella look at her fingers.

"The only one present... who might offer keener insight into Lord Corlys's wishes is the Princess Rhaenys," Viserys says, causing everyone to look her way.

Daella lifted her head to look at the woman. "Indeed, Your Grace. It was ever my husbands will that Driftmark pass through Ser Laenor to his trueborn son... Lucerys Velaryon."

She looked at Lucerys, who stared at Rhaenys, "His mind never changed. Nor did my support of him."

"As a matter of fact, the Princess Rhaenyra has just informed me of her desire to marry her sons Jace and Luke to Lord Corlys's granddaughters Baela and Rhaena."

At the words, Daella smiled over at her brother Jace who looked from Baela to his sister. She then looked at Baela and Rhaena, who held smiles.

"A proposal to which I heartily agree." She finished as Viserys spoke, "Well... the matter is settled. Again." Rhaenyra takes hold of Lucerys hand in hers.

"I hereby reaffirm Prince Lucerys of House Velaryon as heir to Driftmark, the Driftwood Throne, and the next Lord of the Tides."

"You break law... and centuries of tradition to install your daughter as heir. Yet you dare tell me... who deserves to inherit the name Velaryon." Vaemond says as he walks into the center yet again.

"No. I will not allow it." He says, causing Daella to step closer to her mother. "Allow it? Do not forget yourself, Vaemond."

"That is no true Velaryon," He shouted, turning and pointing an accusing finger at Luke. "and certainly no nephew of mine."

Daella takes ahold of Luke's arm as their mother pushes him behind her. "Go to your chambers. You have said enough." Rhaenyra tells him.

"Lucerys is my true-born grandson. And you... are no more than the second son of Driftmark." The King tells him as Daella holds Luke's arm tightly.

"You... may run your house as you see fit... but you will not decide the future of mine. My house survived the Doom and a thousand tribulations besides. And gods be damned... I will not see it ended on the account of this—"

Daella steps forward, holding her left arm in front of her brother. "Say it," Daemon whispers encouragingly, making Daella watch Vaemond closely.

"Her children... are bastards!" He yells, making Daella flinch back and push Luke behind her.

"And she... is... a whore." Daella could feel the anger rising from her family as well as herself. She placed her right arm in front of Jace, who stepped up.

"I... will have your tongue for that." The King says, standing from the Throne and pulling out his blade.

But Prince Daemon was quick as he appeared behind Vaemond with Dark sister in hand. With a swift slash, the top of Vaemonds head was gone.

Daemon placed both hands on the hilt of his sword, saying, "He can keep his tongue." He then lifted his sword from the ground.

"Disarm him!" Otto yelled as the guards took their swords out. But Daemon swiftly used the bottom of his shirt to wipe away the blood.

"Call the maesters!" The Queen shouts as the King falls back onto the Throne. "Father?" Her mother asks, moving closer to the Throne.

They all stood in silence as the King was taken away by the guards. As he was out of sight, she immediately moved to Luke.

She turned, taking his face in her hands, "Are you all right?" She asked as his eyes were wide looking at the body.

She took his hand and gave Jace a nod before leaving the Throne room. She took him into her chambers after ordering Annalie to bring some tea.

-