seventeen

-

-

The moons had passed as the wedding day had come upon them. Daella felt sadness at the realization her family wouldn't be there.

After the night Aemond lost his eye, she lost any chance to see them.

She stood in front of a mirror wearing a white dress that fit her and went to her feet. The fabric looked like dragon scales and with golden embroidery.

The sleeves covered her arms, dangling at the end. Her favorite detail was the tiny pink mantis at the back bottom of the dress. It was hand embroidered by Helaena.

"Princess, your mothers here." Her maid, Annalie, said with a smile in her voice. As Rhaenyra walked in, her eyes widened as she looked at her daughter.

"You look beautiful, my sweet girl." Daella felt a tear run down her cheek as she lifted her dress and ran to her mother. "Mother! You are here."

Rhaenyra held her daughter in her arms, kissing her head. "Of course, no one will separate me from my daughter." She told her before pulling away.

Rhaenyra wiped the tears from her daughter's face and led her to the mirror. "Why is your hair not ready?" She asked, making Daella look at her feet.

"I was hoping you could." Rhaenyra felt a pang in her chest at the look on her daughter's face. Annalie handed over the brush, and Rhaenyra began brushing her hair.

Her mother took the strands of her hair and braided them. Then she pined it to Daella's head. By the end, she had two braids running into each other across the back as a long braid going down her back.

"Thank you, mother!" She smiled. "You look beautiful, My sweet girl." Her mother told her, kissing the back of her head. "But you must promise me you will protect yourself."

"Of course, I will not let them take advantage of me." She promised her mother and herself. A knock at the door made them sigh.

"It is time." The maid told them.

She slowly made her way out the door, with her mother following closely behind. She stayed behind the wall to the grand entrance waiting. "I love you, sweet girl."

"I love you, mother." With those words, her mother entered the throne room. "I now announce Princess Daella Velaryon." With those words, she looked to her maid.

They nodded to each other then she walked through the door with hands clasped in front of her. She could feel stares as she walked toward the throne.

She felt the proud stare of her mother, who had Prince Daemon beside her. They all stood around as she made her way to her soon-to-be husband.

Aegon looked at her with disinterest while Helaena held a soft smile and eyes as she watched Daella walk.

As she finally stood in front of Aegon, he sighed. The Septon in front of them began, "You may now cloak the bride and bring her under your protection." Aegon took the cloak from one of the servants behind him.

He walked behind her and draped it around her. The cloak was lightweight as it had the Velaryon sigil on the right side and the Targaryen sigil on the left.

She felt the cold hit her neck as he returned to his spot. The Septon brought out the ribbon as Daella took Aegon's hand. "We stand here in the sight of gods and men to witness the union of man and wife: one flesh, one heart, one soul, now and forever."

He wrapped it around their hands as she held on tightly to his. Aegon's eyes shot up to look at her. As he did, he saw how sad they looked.

"Let it be known that Aegon the second of house Targaryen and Daella Velaryon of house Velaryon are one heart, one flesh, one soul. Cursed be he who would seek to tear them asunder." The Septon says as Daella looks at their hands with sorrow.

"In the sight of the Seven, I hereby seal these two souls, binding them as one for eternity. Look upon one another and say the words." Aegon tightened his hand around hers as if to assure her.

"Father, Smith, Warrior, Mother, Maiden, Crone, Stranger..."Aegon and Daella speak in unison as they look into each other's eyes. Both of their eyes held sorrow but for different reasons.

Aegon then says, "I am hers, and she is mine. From this day, until the end of my days," in a monotone voice as he looks at their hands.

Daella looks down at their hands, saying, "I am his, and he is mine. From this day, until the end of my days." in a brittle voice.

Aegon looks at her as he says, "With this kiss, I pledge my love," Daella flinches subtly as he leans down and kisses her. She felt as though she was going to cry. As he pulled away, they both turned to the crowd.

Everyone in the room, save for Daella's family, Queen Alicent, and Helaena, cheered. Rhaenyra looked at her daughter, seeing a single tear drop.

-