twenty-seven

-

-

Daella entered her children's chambers to see Aenys and Aemma on the floor along with Gyda. They were playing with their toys as Vaegon slept.

"Helaena has a new insect, Aenys," Daella says softly as she walks over to her children. She sinks to her knees to be at their level.

She smiles as Aenys jumps up from his spot, "Can I see it, Mother?" He asks, causing her to nod before brushing some white hair from his face.

"Aemma, would you like to join us?" She asked, looking at her quiet daughter. Aemma looked at her mother before nodding silently.

"Come on, My darlings." She tells them as Gyda helps her stand due to her dress. She smiles gratefully before holding her hands out.

Aenys takes her hand while Aemma takes her forearm with both hands. Daella gave thanks to Gyda, who now went to attend Vaegon.

Aenys ranted on about all the bugs Helaena had taught him as they walked toward her quarters. As they found the door, the guard opened it for them.

Helaena turned excitedly, holding the dead bug in her hand. "It is a Manticore." She tells them, which causes both children to run over to her.

Daella smiles as Helaena sits on the steps and holds it out to them. She tells them softly what not to do and what to do.

"I will speak to the Queen," Daella announces, causing Helaena's head to shoot up and toward her. "Are you sure?"

"It will be all right, Hel," Daella assures her before turning her heels and leaving the room. She hurries toward the Queen's quarters, where she knew the Queen would be.

The guard hurriedly opened the door for her making her smile at him. "My Queen, I wish to speak." She says, announcing her presence.

"Oh, Princess Daella. What is it you wish to speak?" The Queen asked, walking toward Daella, who stood in front of the closed door.

Daella clasps her hands in front of herself, placing them on her stomach. "I hear you wish to marry Helaena off yet again." She tells the Queen, looking up at her.

"Where would you have heard such claims?" Alicent asks, looking Daella in the eyes. "The birds do speak," Daella tells her as the Queen's face flickers with a frown, then a smile.

"I assure you, princess, nothing will come of this offer," Alicent tells her as her eyes flash with an emotion she couldn't decipher.

Daella smiles at the Queen before turning on her heels and leaving the room. She thanks the guard before she returns to her quarters.

Her children are on the steps looking at the other bugs as Helaena watches over them. But upon hearing the door, Helaena stands and hurries over to her.

"You have not threatened my mother, have you?" Helaena asks, noting the amusement in Daella's eyes. Daella steps closer, placing her hands on Helaena's biceps.

"Of course not, Hel. She told me nothing would come of it." She assures Helaena, who calms at the thought. "Princess! Your mother has sent a raven!" Gyda shouts as she runs into the room.

Daella smiles at her young maid, who hands over the paper. She unwraps the ribbon and unfolds the paper. Daella moves toward her chair next to the fireplace.

She smiles softly as she reads it, and Helaena stands beside her, watching her expressions. "They will return, but it will be of Luke's claim to Driftmark."

Daella smiles, looking up at her friend, saying, "My family is returning!" She says happily as she tries to forget of Vaemond, the poisonous snake.

Aenys and Aemma both jump up at the mention of their grandmother. "Grandmother!" They ask loudly making Daella smile.

Daella hurries to her children and sits on her knees on the floor. "You grandmother and uncles will be here in the morrow or the day after." She explains to them as Aenys hugs her.

-