thirty-one

-

-

Otto stood from the throne as Daellas eyes finally went to him. "Though it is the great hope of this court that Lord Corlys Velaryon survive his wounds,"

"We gather here with the grim task of dealing with the succession of Driftmark." He says, making Daella glance at Luke.

"As Hand, I speak with the King's voice on this and all other matters." Daella felt her mother gently let go of her hand. She smiled to herself as her mother's hands went to her stomach.

"The crown will now hear the petitions. Ser Vaemond of House Velaryon." Daella had to put her head down as she rolled her eyes. She felt Jace nudge her and looked up.

"My Queen." He says, facing Alicent, who gives a slight nod. "My Lord's Hand." Otto gives him a nod before it all begins.

"The history of our noble houses extends beyond the Seven Kingdoms to the days of Old Valyria." He says, only facing the Queen.

"For as long as House Targaryen has ruled the skies, House Velaryon has ruled the seas." Daella clasped her hands in front of her, fiddling with her rings.

"When the Doom fell on Valyria, our houses became the last of their kind. Our forebearers came to this new land, knowing that were they to fail, it would mean the end of their bloodlines and their name."

Vaemond looked up at the Hand and said, "I have spent my entire life on Driftmark defending my brother's seat. I am Lord Corlys's closest kin, his own blood."

"The true, unimpeachable blood of House Velaryon runs through my veins." Daella rolls her eyes at the man's words as her mother speaks up.

"As it does in my children, the offspring of Laenor Velaryon. If you cared so much about your house's blood, Ser Vaemond, you would not be so bold as to supplant its rightful heir."

Daella leaned forward, placing a hand on her mother's arm as she continued, "No, you only speak for yourself and for your own ambition."

"You will have a chance to make your own petition, Princess Rhaenyra. Do Ser Vaemond the courtesy of allowing him to be heard." The Queen says, making Daella remove her hand.

Daella moved her hands behind herself as she scowled at her husband, as he smirked. Then Ser Vaemond turned his attention to them.

"What do you know of Velaryon blood, Princess?" He asks as Jace's hand subconsciously moves to take Daellas. "I could cut my veins and show it to you, and you still wouldn't recognize it."

Daella glances at Jace, who rolls his eyes, shaking his head. "This is about the future and survival of my house, not yours." He tells them, making Daella hold Jace's hand tighter.

"My Queen, my Lord's Hand. This is a matter of blood, not ambition. I place the continuation of the survival of my house and line above all." Vaemond continues.

"I humbly put myself before you as my brother's successor...the Lord of Driftmark and Lord of Tides." He finishes making Daella relax, and lets go of Jace's hand.

"Thank you, Ser Vaemond. Princess Rhaenyra, you may now speak for your son, Lucerys Velaryon." Otto says as Daella watches her mother enter the center of the room.

"If I am to grace this farce with some answer, I will start by reminding the court that nearly twenty years ago, in this very--"

Everyone went silent as the doors opened to the throne room. Daella reached out grabbing Jaces hand holding it tightly.

"King Viserys of House Targaryen, the First of His Name, King of the Andals, and the Rhoynar, and the First Men, Lord of the Seven Kingdoms, and Protector of the Realm."

She watched on with wide eyes as her grandsire struggled in with his cane. He had a golden mask on the right side as his disease had taken over.

She had not seen him much over the years as she refused to see him succumbed to it. But on this day he stood strong making his way to his daughter and the throne.

As he went to make his way up the steps a guard tried to help. He told the guard he would be fine as he continued.

His crown fell as moved up the steps and he stopped leaning his head to his cane. She glanced over seeing Prince Daemon walking toward his brother.

She watched as everyone did that Daemon lifted the crown and helped him to the throne. He then placed the crown onto his brothers head.

-