twenty-two

-

-

Rhaenyra hurried through the castle as she had arrived. She soon found her old chambers, where her daughter was now resting. By raven, she discovered her daughter had given birth to not one but two children.

She found the door and the guard quickly opened it for her. "Oh, my sweet girl," Rhaenyra whispered as she saw her daughter sitting on the bed with two babies in her arms.

"Mother..." Daella smiled as Rhaenyra made her way over.

Rhaenyra took a baby from her arms and sat down next to her daughter on the bed. "What are their names?" She asked, looking down at the white-haired baby in her arms.

"That is Aemma. This is Aenys." Daella told her mother, seeing her eyes widen. "Aemma, after grandmother." Rhaenyra felt her eyes water as she looked down at the girl.

"They are beautiful. He looks like you." Rhaenyra said softly while brushing Daella's hair from her face with her free hand.

"Are you well? Have they given you anything for pain? Have you rested?" Her mother began as she stood rocking the baby in her arms. "Of course. The Maester gave me milk of the poppy before you arrived."

Rhaenyra nodded at her daughter. "I do hope they got your looks." Daella smiles as she looks up to see Jace walking in. "I would hate to disappoint you."

He smiled as he looked at the baby in their mother's arms. "Luke would not stop speaking of you." He told her as he then made his way to her.

"Dae!" Luke yelled as Rhaenyra tried to silence him. "I am sorry." He whispered as he walked into the room.

Daella watches as her brother runs over but is held back by Jace. "She is holding a baby. You have to be careful." Rhaenyra tells him as she walks toward the cradle putting Aemma down.

She smiles at her daughter, taking Aenys in her arms. As the baby left her arms, Luke entered them. "How are you, Luke?" She asked as he tucked his head under her chin.

"You are here." He tells her while she sets her head on his. "I am. How long will you be?" She asked her mother, who had placed Aenys in his cradle.

Rhaenyra walked toward the bed standing behind Jace with a hand on his shoulder. "We will be here for a few, and you do not have to worry."

"Why don't you boys go eat," Rhaenyra tells them, trying to get Luke from Daella. He groaned as he was taken from his sister's arms. Jace smiled as he walked off with Luke.

Rhaenyra closes the door before moving back to sit on the bed. "I will be here until you are back on your feet, sweet girl," Rhaenyra tells her, putting a hand on Daella's cheek.

She leaned over, kissing Daella on the forehead before asking, "How have they treated you?" Daella took her mother's hand into her.

"The Queen was with me when I birthed them." Rhaenyra's eyes saddened as she asked, "Aegon?" Daella frowned, looking over to the cradles.

"He has yet to visit and see them. I do not believe he cares." She tells her mother, looking back at her. "He drinks every hour and leaves our chambers late at night."

Rhaenyra's eyes shined with realization before she leaned over, pulling her daughter into a tight hug. Daella smiled into her mother's shoulder, rubbing her back.

"Helaena was the first to visit." Daella tells her mother as they pull apart. "Good. Shall I stay with you tonight?" Her mother asked, rubbing her arms.

"You do not have to. But could you have breakfast with me on the morrow?" Daella asked with a smile causing Rhaenyra to kiss her forehead. "Of course, Jace and Luke will join you for Lunch."

Daella nodded as her mother gave her one last hug. "I love you, my sweet girl," Rhaenyra tells her, pulling away and standing. "I love you, Mother."

-