Chapter 14 Keep Smiling

After driving for some time, Pei Yan abruptly stepped on the brake. Hua Jin who was dizzy and sleepy suddenly opened her eyes widely and asked, "What's wrong?!"

"There seems to be a person lying on the road in front..." Pei Yan motioned to the front with a solemn expression. Hua Jin followed his line of sight and discovered that there was indeed a person lying on the ground motionless less than ten meters from the car. They weren't sure what was happening. She turned to see Pei Yan already preparing to get out of the car to take a look, so she reached out to grab his sleeve. "Wait. Don't get down in a hurry, I'll call the emergency and the police first"

Pei Yan was confused at first, but he then understood why Hua Jin had stopped him from getting out of the car. "The car has a dashcam."

"Even if there is a monitoring device, it's still better to be cautious." Hua Jin finished her phone call and loosened her hold on Pei Yan's sleeve. "Your social standing is different from a normal person, and as long as someone with ill-intentions concocts a story of a rich second generation scion knocking someone dead off the road or something like that, the entire Internet will be in an uproar. And even if you uploaded the dashcam footage as evidence to the contrary, there'd still be people who'd choose to turn a blind eye and ignore it just so that they can still use this kind of situation to vent their negative emotions.

"It's actually better if I was the one who goes out to check, since I have no money nor any social statu-" But before Hua Jin could even finish speaking, Pei Yan pressed her back to her seat before taking his suit and vest off and rolling up his sleeves. "You are a woman. Stop always watching those damned bloody dramas. I'm not a movie star and I don't really care about what other people say about me. It's not like they can affect me and my lifestyle anyways."

Then Pei Yan got out of the car, taking a first aid kit out of the car's trunk that was currently full of souvenirs, before walking up to the motionless man.

The man's clothes had blood stains all over them as he laid there on the ground, but because Pei Yan couldn't see where he was injured, he dared not flip him over. He just bent down to see if the man was still breathing and found that he was.

Pei Yan then turned around to walk back to the car to take his suit, which he then used to cover the injured person.

When he turned his head, he saw that Hua Jin had got out of the car herself, pale in the face. He then got up and hollered back, "Don't come!"

"Okay." Hua Jin stopped, "Is the person alright?"

"He's alive." Pei Yan looked down at the first aid kit off to the side, "But there are injuries on his body, so I think it's better if we don't move him." Looking at all the blood that had gushed out of the person, he added, "Better not come here to have a look. I'm afraid you won't be able to take it."

Hua Jin kept herself standing by holding on to the car's door. She then took a deep breath and raised her head to Pei Yan and said, "The hospital has already called me back and they're already rushing here." After she had said her piece, she sat back down on the passenger seat before bending over to hug her knees. She was having chills.

After an unknown amount of time, she finally heard the sound of the siren of the ambulance, and soon after, the ambulance and some traffic police came. Also, some nearby villagers who had also gathered to see and gossip about all the commotion.

The traffic police took some pictures of the scene and requested a copy of Pei Yan's dashcam footage after they concluded that the two had nothing to do with the incident.

"What's wrong with you, having such a shocked expression?" When the traffic police and the ambulance finally took the injured person away, Pei Yan then saw Hua Jin sitting in the car, continuously drinking water. Her face was ridiculously pale. "Have you fallen ill?"