Chapter 40: Mistake

"Are you sure you don't need me to accompany you upstairs?" Parked the car outside the alley, Pei Yan opened the car door for Hua Jin and glanced at her high heels.

"I can walk home on this road even with my eyes closed, I won't stumble," Hua Jin shook her head. The night breeze carried her fragrance, stealthily reaching Pei Yan's nose. His gaze bypassed her fair neck and glossy red lips, finally resting on her wrist.

"During festive occasions, we dress up in hand-embroidered clothes and high heels at the shop to attract customers' attention," Hua Jin lifted her foot slightly. "The height of these shoes is still manageable."

"Be careful while walking then," Pei Yan accompanied Hua Jin until they reached the alley, and he didn't proceed further.

Clack, clack, clack.

"Are you sure you don't need me to escort you upstairs?" Parked the car outside the alley, Pei Yan opened the door for Hua Jin and glanced at her high heels.

Hua Jin walked with a steady pace, each step filled with a sense of rhythm. As she was about to leave the alley, she stopped and turned to look at the end of the lane. Pei Yan was still standing there.

In this dimly lit alley, she couldn't see his expression, and he couldn't see her clearly either. But Hua Jin knew that Pei Yan was looking at her.

She curved her lips into a smile. "Pei Yan, good night."

The man at the end of the lane remained silent for two seconds. "Good night."

This time, Hua Jin didn't turn back. She walked out of the dim alley and entered a courtyard bathed in moonlight.

The sound of her high heels grew fainter and fainter until it could no longer be heard. Pei Yan turned back to his car. He had numerous unread messages and over a dozen missed calls on his phone.

"Brother Per, don't worry. My grandfather won't be angry over this small matter. We all know what kind of person Xu Changhui is. It was our lack of careful consideration this time, which caused inconvenience to the embroidery master." This was a message from Yang Shao.

"Mr. Pei, I apologize for the incident that occurred with the embroidery master. We were not attentive enough in our hospitality. Please convey my apologies to the embroidery master, and I assure you that I will personally visit to make amends in the future." This message was sent by the Meng family.

As for the messages from the Xu family, Pei Yan didn't even bother to read them and chose to delete them directly. He didn't have a son like Xu Changhui who needed to be indulged.

Back in the rented room, Hua Jin removed her makeup and sat on the bed, reading the messages from Yang Shao. She replied with a few polite words and then tossed her phone aside, lying down on the bed.

After a while, her phone rang, and Hua Jin glanced at the caller ID: Mark?

She pressed the answer button, "Mr. Mark?"

"I apologize, Miss Hua, for calling you this late. I hope I'm not disturbing you," Mark's voice was pleasant, with a gentle tone that seemed to be filled with infinite affection.

"Not at all," Hua Jin looked at the clock on the wall—it was 9:53 PM. It wasn't early in the evening, but for many young people, it wasn't considered late either. However, it certainly wasn't the best time for work-related discussions.

"I'm glad I didn't disturb you," Mark chuckled lightly on the other end of the phone. "I just had an inspiration and couldn't wait to call Miss Hua. But as soon as I dialed, I regretted it. Fortunately, I didn't disturb you."