Chapter 39: Trouble

Seeing the slightly forced smile on Xu Si's face, Huajin felt that she might not have a thorough understanding of human nature.

"Mr. Pei is still as indifferent to people as ever." The moment of awkwardness just now seemed to have disappeared. Xu Si slightly curved her lips and smiled as she looked at Pei Yan. "It seems time has been particularly kind to you. You haven't changed much over all these years."

Pei Yan glanced at the plate Xu Si had placed on the table and tapped his index finger on the surface a few times. He picked up Xu Si's plate and handed it to her, saying, "Miss Xu, I'm sorry, but we don't allow table sharing here."

Creak.

The fork accidentally scraped against the plate, and Huajin felt the intense gaze of Xu Si, almost igniting a fire within her. She looked up and met Xu Si's eyes, flashing a subtle smile.

Xu Si was taken aback. She didn't expect this woman to have the audacity to meet her gaze. After a few seconds, she managed to force a smile and took the plate from Pei Yan's hand, saying, "Mr. Pei misunderstood. I just wanted to catch up with you, no intention of sharing a table."

Pei Yan noticed the way Xu Si had looked at Huajin earlier and let out a sneer, casually remarking, "Sorry, I don't recall us having any previous relationship. How can we catch up on something that never existed?"

Huajin silently covered her face, feeling that in such a awkward situation, she should be hiding under the table and discreetly observing, rather than sitting there watching.

Even if Xu Si had a strong mentality, she couldn't tolerate Pei Yan's sarcastic remarks. She glared at Huajin, then turned around and gracefully walked away in her high heels.

Huajin felt a bit wronged. If Pei Yan didn't give her face, what did it have to do with her?

"Pei Yan, how can you be so unkind to a girl?" Since they entered the venue, several men and women had approached Pei Yan to strike up conversations. Although he remained aloof, he didn't openly antagonize anyone. His attitude toward Xu Si seemed particularly harsh.

"You should stay away from this woman in the future," Pei Yan made no effort to hide his dislike for Xu Si. "She's not a good person, just like her cousin."

Pei Yan wasn't someone who liked to speak ill of others behind their backs, but considering that Huajin was unfamiliar with these people, he had to break his usual principle. "Back in high school, because her family was well-off, some classmates who liked to flatter her would follow her. She would often bully the students she didn't like, and the things she did to those students... I can tell you, they were disgusting."

Huajin couldn't help but turn her head to look at the exquisitely dressed Xu Si, feeling a chill in her heart. How could such a beautiful girl have the heart to do such things?

"Stay away from these kinds of people, so you won't be disgusted by their dirtiness and filth," Pei Yan stood up and brought Huajin a glass of juice. "After you finish eating and drinking, I'll take you around the surroundings."

"Why do I feel like you're just taking me out to eat and drink?" Huajin took a sip of the juice, which was freshly squeezed and had a great taste.

"What else should we do if not eat and drink?" Pei Yan wiped the corner of his mouth. "I've never liked the pretense of false politeness. Life is short, and we shouldn't subject ourselves to unnecessary grievances for the sake of others."

Huajin laughed and lowered her eyelids, unable to resist asking, "What happened to those students who were bullied?"

"Nothing happened. I couldn't stand by and watch, so I called Xu's family and asked them to discipline their daughter properly," Pei Yan's tone was cold. "It's not like the whole world revolves around her. If she violates the law or school regulations, she should be dealt with accordingly."