Chapter 31: The Police Car

In the middle of the night, Yang Shao fell asleep on the chair, his body covered in mosquito bites. Meanwhile, Pei Yan finally caught his first fish—a crucian carp that was three fingers wide.

"Crucian carp is good, it's good for making brain-nourishing soup," Yang Shao mumbled as he sat up from the chair, feeling groggy. "Just a bit small."

"I'm giving it to you," Pei Yan tossed the crucian carp into Yang Shao's fish tank, packed up his fishing gear, and said, "Go back to sleep. I'm leaving."

"Giving it to me?" Yang Shao scratched the mosquito bites on his arm, feeling a bit dazed as he stood up. "Pei Ge, were you really here to fish?" He was a bit puzzled. What could he do with such a small fish if he took it back? Fry it into small fish crisps?

As he put away his fishing gear and got into the car, Yang Shao finally realized what Pei Ge meant. Pei Ge was mocking him, implying that he had a poor brain and needed nourishment. For a moment, Yang Shao's emotions were complicated.

Pei Ge's way of mocking him was becoming more and more subtle. What was even more rare was that he could actually understand Pei Ge's mockery. This was progress in terms of his intelligence.

This bustling city was a city that never sleeps. Even in the early hours of the morning, there were still bustling vehicles on the streets and pedestrians taking walks along the roadside. However, hidden in the corners of prosperity were low, dilapidated buildings and alleyways littered with trash.

Passing by a hotel, Yang Shao, who was sitting in the passenger seat, suddenly spoke up, "Pei Ge, I remember six or seven years ago, this hotel used to be bustling, and now it's up for sale."

Pei Yan stopped the car at a traffic light intersection and casually glanced over, saying, "I don't remember."

Yang Shao wanted to continue speaking but suddenly remembered that they had come here to eat back then because Pei Ge's grandfather had passed away, and Pei Ge had been in a bad mood. The brothers had forcibly dragged him out of the house to make Pei Yan feel better.

Originally, after they finished eating, they had planned to take Pei Ge to other places to have fun, but before they knew it, Pei Ge had disappeared. When they called him, they found out that he had already returned home.

The mention of Pei's grandfather's passing made Yang Shao unsure of what to say. He forced a laugh and said, "It's normal that you don't remember something from six or seven years ago."

There were still over fifty seconds left on the red light. Pei Yan lightly tapped his index finger on the steering wheel and turned his head to glance at the hotel on the roadside. The decoration was still in the style of three or four years ago, with dim lighting. It was not surprising that the business couldn't thrive in such a state.

He furrowed his brows, faintly recalling something about this hotel. It wasn't that the food at this hotel was particularly special, but rather, he remembered a small incident that had happened here years ago. He wondered if the thin, sobbing girl who had secretly hidden in the bushes and hugged her legs was still in this city.

Seeing Pei Yan's contemplative expression, Yang Shao thought he was reminded of Pei's grandfather and cursed himself for his loose tongue. "Pei Ge, the light is about to turn green."

Pei Yan glanced at him sideways, started the car, and drove through the traffic light intersection. "A few days ago, Uncle Yang told me that he hopes you can learn to manage the company's affairs and asked me to persuade you."

Yang Shao forced a bitter smile. "Pei Ge, I'm not cut out for that. I'm afraid that I'll ruin the family's hard-earned legacy."

"But you're idle all day, just driving around in yachts. How can Uncle Yang feel at ease?" Pei Yan said, "Even if you don't want to manage the company, you should at least go to the company with Uncle Yang every day and learn. Even if you hire a proxy to oversee the company in the future, you should at least be able to figure out if they're deceiving you. Uncle Yang is still young and can manage the company now, but do you expect him to worry about you and the company when he's old?"