Chapter 36: Self-Awareness

After asking that question, Zhou Dong saw the other person's smile.

Politeness, distance.

His highly agitated mind, like being thrown into a bucket of snow in boiling water, suddenly calmed down. He suddenly remembered the rumors from back then—some said Hua Jin's parents favored boys over girls and treated her poorly; some said something happened to Hua Jin's family and she was the only one left; and there were even rumors that she didn't take the college entrance examination because her uncle had found her a wealthy husband and arranged a marriage for her.

If the beautiful girl before him was truly Hua Jin, had his appearance become the key that awakened her painful memories? After all the struggles she went through to escape that life and start anew, why did he have to expose it in front of others?

In that instant, Zhou Dong felt as if he were drowning, unable to breathe from the discomfort. He lowered his head, his voice trembling, and said, "I'm sorry, I mistook you for someone else." At that time, he had admired Aijin when he was young, but when he found out that Hua Jin didn't come to take the college entrance examination, he only worried about her in his heart and never intended to seek her out. Even after the college entrance examination was over, he still had various concerns until he heard from the girls in his class chat group that Hua Jin was getting married. He sighed and concealed his not-so-secret crush in his heart.

During her hardships, perhaps he was focused on the college entrance examination, rejoicing over his own success, without ever thinking of helping her or extending a hand. Now that they met in a foreign land, she didn't want to recall the past, so why should he bring it up? Zhou Dong felt sad for himself, for the difficulties Hua Jin had endured, and regretted his own past cowardice and helplessness. His eyes turned slightly red, and his voice trembled as he said, "I'm sorry."

After speaking, he turned and ran towards the outside of the shop, without even having the courage to look back.

"What's wrong with this guy?" Yang Shao looked at Zhou Dong's disheveled figure running away and asked, "Embroider Hua, do you know him?"

Embroider Hua smiled but didn't say anything. She turned her head and saw Pei Yan standing outside the shop.

He came with Yang Shao?

No wonder Yang Shao, with his careless personality, thought of bringing her to the gathering of embroidery masters. Did he witness what just happened?

Embroider Hua looked up and smiled at Pei Yan. She thought Pei Yan would turn and leave again, but he unexpectedly nodded at her.

"Can you come to pick me up tonight?" Embroider Hua asked. "I can't leave now; the shop is too busy."

"No problem," Yang Shao nodded. "Then, Embroider Hua, you can continue working while I go with Brother Pei to do something else."

"Okay," Embroider Hua smiled and turned back to the embroidery frame. She took out a thread from the spool and continued embroidering the unfinished screen.

"I'll come to pick you up tonight," Pei Yan said, appearing next to Embroider Hua. "Also, let me know your clothing measurements."

"Are you preparing an evening gown for me?" Hua Jin looked up at Pei Yan, chuckling. "No need, the shop has suitable clothes. They'll definitely make a grand impression."

"Alright," Pei Yan glanced at the unfinished double-sided panda embroidery on the frame, where even the tiny details of the panda's fur were clearly visible. He couldn't help but take another look.

Embroider Hua was particularly focused when embroidering, and even if there were others watching beside her, it wouldn't affect her concentration. It was actually Pei Yan who didn't feel like leaving while watching Embroider Hua embroider. If it weren't for Yang Shao winking and gesturing at him, he would have almost forgotten that he had something else to do later.