CHAPTER 57

Pain is the surest indication that we are still alive and that pain woke me up with a start.

I groaned as I tried to move onto my side but could not, my body was calm now, no, my body was a wreck, I felt pain everywhere, my blood rage was gone now, maybe it had cushioned my fall I don't know, all I knew was Rieka had returned the reigns of my mind back to me and my body was on fire.

Why the hell does she always do that? She gets us injured and then goes into hiding, letting me face the pain.

"They are coming." I heard Rieka whisper in my head interrupting my thoughts, while also pretending not to know I was scolding her at the moment, she whispered as if speaking any louder would make them hear her.

I raised my nose up in alarm and sniffed the air and sure, a large number of werewolves was coming this way, I could perceive their thick masculine scent in the air and hear the sound of their boots in the soundless night.

I tried to turn to my side again but I could not, a glass shard had pierced me on my left side and it was bleeding, I didn't even bother to pull it out as I wasn't ready to bleed to death. I had to get out of here.

My left arm was also broken, more like twisted into an inhuman shape, so I shifted to my right and stood up with a groan. I looked around and then at myself.

Who was I kidding? I was going to die here tonight night, we were both going to die tonight. How was I supposed to manage it, the fact that I could wake up as early as I did after the short blood rage episode was already a miracle.

I was badly injured, my left arm was broken and my right knee which had the knife wound was practically a burden because I couldn't run with it either.

"We have to leave!" Rieka shouted in my head, I hissed and began to limp toward the forest.

"This is a useless cause, they would catch me before I even make it to the forest." I lamented to her in my head as I glanced back at the sound of shouting men now rushing down the stairs in the house.

If the house didn't have so many stairs, they would practically be unto me by now. I thought.

"Shift!" She said

"What?"

"Shift now!" Rieka shouted and I immediately did before I could think about it,

I screamed as my broken arm twisted and popped back in shape, I landed on my paws.

"Nice!" I said to Rieka as shook my fur and glanced at my limbs, my left arm was now back in shape leaving only the injured hind leg and the bloody trail the glass embedded in my side now left behind.

It was going to draw them to me fast but I couldn't wait for that to happen, I thought as I sprinted into the wood, running for my life now.
...........

The wind was in my ear, and so was the sound of my pursuers catching up with me. I glanced back occasionally and saw the shiny furs of my pursuers just behind me, glimmering under the moonlight.

The closest one leaped to pounce on me, but I evaded, rolling on the ground and causing more injury to my already battered body, but I still stood up and ran, the adrenaline doing well to push me into survival mode.

It would have been so nice if the blood rage worked like adrenaline for a change and didn't turn me into a fool. I thought as their borders came in sight.

The sight of the borders, brought no relief to me as I knew, I was a long way from home and even beyond the borders was still Alpha Dante's territory.

How Rieka got me to believe, we would survive tonight is beyond me, I thought.

At that moment, something slammed into me and I rolled on the ground as the air was knocked out of my lungs. By the time I finally came to a rest, I had shifted back to my human form, the impact was that harsh and my side was now burning as the glass shard seem to have sunk in deeper as with the rapid shifting.

I breathed heavily for some seconds before a sharp new pain to my left side caused me to groan, I looked at it under the moonlight and discovered that there were claw marks there, running over the glass that was already embedded there and pushing it in even deeper.

"Oh, God!" I groaned as I felt the urge to cry.

I mean, I felt sorry for myself for the first time in my life. I have always been the victim but I have never felt this sorry for myself.

I groaned in pain too weak to stand up, as I looked around me at the wolves and men that now surrounded me as they walked slowly towards me, baring their teeth. My eyes zeroed in on the one I assumed had tackled me and I saw the large golden-brown wolf with a scar over his left eye that blinded it completely.

"Oh no! He found us!" I said to Rieka with fear as I remembered his plans to make me a lab rat but she growled ready to fight but this body was too weak.

My body was weak, I didn't even think I could initiate a shift anymore, so I lay there and ignored her. We have come so far. I had achieved a lot, from the weak Silveen, who wanted to belong somewhere to a dark knight.

An Austan who can control her blood rage, I might have massacred a lot of people as a result of my blood rage but I still have come far. I didn't mindlessly kill as I should, I could decide when to let it control me.

Perhaps the goddess would be proud of how far I have come. I thought and laughed at my foolishness.

Alpha Dante who had shifted and had gotten himself a pair of clothes walked to me and placed his right foot on my chest.

"Nowhere to run Austan." He said to me with a deadly smirk and Rieka growled in my head.

"We go down with a fight. We cannot become a lab rat." She hissed.

"I love you too Rieka!" I said with laughter as I stared at the moon. This was it, I didn't care anymore.

The last time I laid defeated like this was in that no man's land and we had promised ourselves that we would never be in that position again, yet, here I am.

I still remember clearly that I had seen the moon come out in clear daylight that day. Maybe the moon goddess had actually helped me that day. There was still so much I still wanted to do, maybe she would help again.

Would she still help if I genuinely called for help? I thought and chuckled again at my stupidity.

I must be losing my mind, I thought and exhaled, my lungs hurt a little.

"Tear her apart!" I heard Alpha Dante say with irritation.

My laughter must be pissing him off, or was it his eye injury that made him decide he didn't want me to be a lab rat anymore? I wondered.

I looked into his only functioning eye and couldn't read what I found there, but whatever it was, I didn't care anymore. At least I was going to die a wolf and not a specimen. I thought with relief.

I had given up this time.

Alpha Dante stared at me with sheer hatred for a few seconds before he tookhis foot off my chest and walked away, I didn't remember him being this angry,even when I faced him to assassinate him.

"Rieka." I whispered out loud as I heard their predatory approachtowards me, it was in moments of life and death like this that I alwaysremember how much I loved my wolf.

I closed my eyes and braced myself for the pain that was to come.

******

Wow, I haven't updated The Indifferent luna in a month! Well, I would say I have no excuse but you guys deserve my excuse, soooo here goes....

So the school semester started and it became so hectic I just could squeeze out the time but while I was going about my busy school schedule, I kept thinking of indifferent luna, and during that time I decided I would be making this book into a series.

You guys must have seen the new cover, well. Wish me luck guys, and a stress-free semester, my exams are fast approaching and.....

Yeah, that is.

Thanks for the love, you've shown The Indifferent luna when I wasn't here, all the voting and the comments. Thanks so much guys.

love you!