CHAPTER 13

The first thing I let out was a tired groan, as I shielded my eyes from the light. I wasn't feeling a splitting headache or immense tiredness or whatever I was supposed to feel from a hangover, but my eyes were hurting, hurting badly obviously because of the light that was coming into the room.

"Silveen! You're awake!" I heard Lady Freya's voice say with relief and I frowned.

Shouldn't I be yet? Only God knows how long I had slept.

I rolled to my side to shield my face from the light of the sun and looked at her as she came to hold my hand on the bed, putting the other over my forehead to check if I had a fever probably.

"Uggh! Close the windows!" I groaned and she immediately went to do so, as my eyes adjusted to the environment. I was still in my room, but the time looked similar to the time we went out.

I frowned. Did I overcome the hangover quickly? I thought I would not be awake until the next day. The.... Next...... day..... was my Luna crowning ceremony!

I jumped up to a seating position with my eyes wide.

"Today is not the day, right?!" lady Freya only looked at me lost of words.

I frowned and was about to speak again,

"Lady Silveen! You're awake!" I turned to the excited Cecilia, who rushed to place a tray of soup on the table, then ran to me crying and laughing at the same time.

What was going on? Why are they acting weird? I asked myself as she hugged me.

I will worry about that later.

" How long have I been out?!

"Two days!" Cecilia blurted out and my eyes widened as I saw her cover her mouth with her hand and look at lady Freya alarmed.

"What! The ceremony!" I exclaimed as I threw away the covers and jumped out of bed, then out the room before they could stop me. I ran down the stairs, not sure why I was going out and not looking for Eric first.

Where was Eric? Did he postpone the ceremony because I was drunk? Oh, what did the guest say? They must be repulsed at the undisciplined Luna, who doesn't know how to control her drinking habit.

I slowed down in the hallway as I realized that the house was awfully silent. Ever since the ceremony had been announced, the house had been burbling with life as maids rushed in and out. Now it was silent. Dead silent. Except for the sounds of footsteps running down the stairs.

Cecil and Lady Freya. They must be coming to find me.

I hurried out of the house and my frown deepened when the streets also looked empty. I walked down the marble stairs and then the streets, looking around,

"Where is everyone?" I asked no one in particular as panic began to rise within me. Had Layla and her father brought war to our doorsteps? Have I been sleeping while my pack went out to fight in the war?

I asked myself as I broke into a run for the square, stopping short when I saw it filled with people. My heart skipped.

Eric.

I ran into the midst of the people, pushing my way towards the front to have a better view, as I realized someone was talking, addressing them.

Eric.

Relief washed over me as I listened.

"Do you, Layla, accept the role and responsibility of the Luna of the Kirjan pack? Do you promise to protect the people with your life and love them above all things?....."