CHAPTER 51

Oh, the moment we stepped through the portal, we knew the alpha wasn't bluffing, he must have said those things to flaunt his victory in our faces.

The dark mistress lair we met was in disorder, blood, bodies, and detached limbs littered the ground, and the marbled floor was darkened with the color of blood as its stench filled the air stinging our nostrils and making our eyes water.

Dark knights could be seen running helter-skelter trying to bring the situation under control, others helped those who were injured to the infirmary.

A big inferno was burning on one side, with dead bodies and detached limbs constantly being thrown in.

We all stood transfixed on our spot as we took the whole thing in, we, who have been through an ambush and had then enjoyed victory, despite what the alpha of the Grata night pack had said were coming home happily, proud of our achievement, ready to tell our stories to our brethren.

But standing here and seeing all this, we were shocked to the bones. What kind of ambush could have left the lair looking like this? Who could be strong enough to do such a thing? I wondered as I stared.

The knights who had friends and family amongst us recovered quickly, they immediately dropped the food pack we brought and started to make sure those they love were still alive.

Seeing the whole group begin to disperse, Ramon seems to have come to his senses,

"Help the injured!" Ramon quickly shouted orders at them and the rest of us swung into action.

"Silveen! You're with me. We must find the mistress!" he shouted above the chaos again as he started running towards the castle.

I ran after him, wondering how in God's name this Alpha Dante could ambush the feared lair like this while also pushing away the fact that something could really have happened to the Adela.

When we got into the castle there was only more shock waiting for us, the flawless white walls of its interior had numerous blood stains, there were broken items all over and all sorts of dead warriors littered the staircase, many of which I couldn't even recognize. They were not our warriors.

We rushed past the bodies and the guards who were cleaning and carrying about beds to help the injured; rushing towards the throne room where Adela usually received visitors and held her meetings.

Throwing open the giant doors, Ramon rushed in.

I also did but slowed down, it was my first time stepping into the throne room, even though I followed Adela everywhere and acted as her second in command, I was never invited to the throne room, so I had the urge to look around but I couldn't exactly satisfy this urge because I saw Ramon's quick steps falter.

I looked at him then in front to see all the leaders of the lair gathering around something, or rather someone.

My heart jumped into my throat.

They all looked up at us with tears in their eyes as we walked toward them slowly, my heart skipped beats as I prayed,

"Oh goddess, let it not be true."

I never actually gave the killing Adela thing a thought. I mean who could kill her? She was the dark mistress. Strong and fast. Untouchable.

No matter how strong the so-called Alpha Dante is, he can't touch her, right? I asked myself as I walked into the gathering to see the very same woman cradled in Selene's arms lying on the floor.

Her favorite dark leather tank top was wet with dark blood, her eyes looking up hazily.

A lump formed in my throat.