CHAPTER 28

"Who are the others?" I asked as I caught up with her, she smiled

"You didn't think my warriors would let me walk into the lion's den alone, did you? I had until noon to convince you that we mean no harm and could help, then they would come and rescue me." she said.

"You do know that by noon you wouldn't have been alive right?" I said, not looking at her, "and by the way, noon is a bad time to go on a rescue mission in winter hollows."

She smiled brightly now. "For a weak human, you seem pretty sure of yourself and your wolf. I wonder what you would be like when your wolf classifies you as strong." she said and I snorted, that wasn't a compliment even Rieka had said that she was wrong in her assumptions about me but I hadn't done anything special, my mouth had just gotten sharper.

We walked passed the river and I took the opportunity to stare into it. I had always wanted to do that through my own eyes, not through Rieka's eyes. I looked at my now proclein-colored face and saw that my eyes were permanently red. It wasn't turning back or flickering, I must not have noticed because I had been looking through them for so long.

I got on my knee gathering the cool water from our favorite river in my hand and washed my face, shivering a little from its temperature.

"I'm going to miss it. It knows just how to cool one's temper." Rieka said and I smiled.

She was right, the river had been put to good use. I got back on my feet to see that Adela was waiting for me so I nodded to her and followed.

"What is today's date?"

"July 25th," she said and I frowned another three months had passed since I last saw the witches. I wonder what they've been doing since they left winter hollows. Were they still searching for the witch who made the paralysis venom? Were they still fighting over why Kira had set me free? I am going to find those witches one day and they are going to have a lot of explaining to do.

"Before I snap their neck in half." Rieka finished.

"Stop being cheesy Rieka, they still helped us. Kira set you free." I said

"That's only because she didn't know that I was under a spell cast by her sister." she said angrily.

"Nothing you say can stop me Silveen. When we find them, I will tear them into shreds like I did all those animals." She spat again.

I immediately focused my mind on cutting the link and easier than I expected, it closed. I smiled satisfactorily, I have been wanting to do that for a long time.

I focused on the path we were taking. It led to the border but even I didn't know the way so well. Rieka created them and only walked through this forest following the scent of the intruders. So how did she know which way to go? I decided to ask her.

"How do you know the way out."

"I don't." she said and I frowned coming to a halt, she did the same as she turned to stare at me.

"And why am I following you when you don't know the way? Are you plotting something?"

She smiled again, "of course not. This shows me the direction." she said raising the compass I hadn't noticed she was holding then continued, "The whole forest is marked as your territory, what are you scared of."

"Nothing. I just thought you needed a reminder of the words I had said earlier."

"You can trust me Silveen. I mean no harm."

"I will be the judge of that." I spat then walked past her following the trail.

She quickly caught up and we walked side by side silently, my nose in the air as I kept on sniffing for danger or intruders but there was none. If she noticed she didn't say anything. She must have come to the conclusion that I wasn't going to trust her based on her words.

..................................................................................................................

The closer we got to the border, the more reluctant I felt, was I ready to step into the world again? Could I really become a strong person and take my revenge on all those who hurt me? What if the reason I was so bold was because I was in my territory? If so, what happens when I leave? Maybe I should just stay here.

I thought as I came to a halt again at the point of the forest with the thickest of fog and where my scent was thickest. I knew it represented my predatory border and I know that the moment I stepped out, I would lose everything Rieka had worked so hard to create here.

I didn't like the mess she made with the forest but I loved the atmosphere of safety she created and I wasn't sure I wanted to leave it. My safe haven.

Stepping out into the world means starting from the bottom of the ladder again. Struggling to survive and find my place. I would have to acquire power, enough power, and strength to actually get my revenge and I am not sure if I wanted to go through the power struggle.

"You scared of leaving home?" I heard Adela ask bringing me out of my cascade of thoughts and I frowned at her. What the hell was her problem, why was she acting like she knew me?

"Everyone feels that way the first time, but this is the right decision." She said again and I looked at her angrily amidst the mist.

God, she was annoying, acting like she knows and understands me so well.

Because I was angry, too angry to even admit she was right, I walked past her into the thick fog and as I walked further, the fog disappeared giving way to the forest outside of my haven. I looked around at the shrubs that grew on the floor, the trees were tall forming a canopy that prevented the sun from feeding the undergrowth.

I took in a deep breath, and the fresh scent of forest, rain, melted snow and a little bit of fur filled my nose. Wolves were in this forest somewhere, probably Adela's subordinate.

I looked up at the evening sun, I hadn't seen it in a long time, and I sighed as it hit my skin with its warmth. The sound of birds and currying animals filled my ears, this forest was alive as Winter hollows once was and would soon be.

I looked back at the dense fog behind me and saw that Adela was standing there smiling at me before looking around.

"It's beautiful, isn't it?" she asked but I ignored her and began to walk towards the scent of fur that I now assume was from her subordinates.

Since she followed without another word I knew I was going the right way.

 *** 

Did you guys miss me?