CHAPTER 29

"Don't you think it's about time we go in search of the dark mistress?" I heard a female voice ask.

Even though I could smell the scent of furs which indicated that they were werewolves, I couldn't determine how many of them were there, their scent was very similar as was the nature of pack wolves.

Why do they smell similar to pack wolves when she said they weren't a pack? Was this woman trying to deceive me?

"Let's wait a little bit more, if we go in haste we might miss her." a male's voice replied.

I was about a kilometer from where they seemed to be camping but could hear their conversation clearly.

And what makes you so sure she doesn't need our help now, Like right now." the female asked again sounding stubborn.

"Are you questioning my judgment Selene?" the male voice asked this time and there was no response.

I knew he must be of a higher rank compared to her. Again, another trait of a pack wolf.

I glanced at Adela again she seem to also hear them clearly as she now had a distant look similar to mine.

"Austan wolf's best ability," she said glancing at me but I gave a look that said I didn't know what she was talking about. "Super hearing. I know you can hear them too." she said this time and I looked forward ignoring her.

"I feel a little embarrassed that my companions can't even agree on what to do, you must think we are a bunch of barbarians." she said

"you mean your pack members." I accused.

"We're not a pack."

"Oh yeah? They all possess a similar scent, have a hierarchy and a leader, which is you but you keep on insisting you're not a pack?" I accused her again.

"We've just been together for a long time. As for the hierarchy, there is none we are all warriors the only hierarchy are those of the trainers who have to be stronger than the others to train them and of course, my assistant. The man whose voice you heard, that's him." she explained eagerly.

She seemed eager for me to get to know her people.

"So you brought all the leaders of your pack to capture me? That's childish. What if someone attacks your pack while you are gone?" I asked again obviously in the mood to taunt someone.

"Not to capture you. And I didn't bring everyone." She explained not seeing the need to stress the fact that they weren't a pack anymore

"Really? If I refused to follow you, would you have gone back obediently?" I asked stopping to look at her as I folded my hands over my chest, she also stopped and looked at me seriously for a while then broke into a smile.

"I'm not sure."

"What you mean to say is no." I retorted.

"Yeah, I guess I would have tried to find another way to convince you. Ask you to fight with me if I have to." she said.

"You can't win against an Austan wolf in blood rage, even a single bite is lethal." I said to her again

"I know, but I would have tried anyway." She said, an amusing smiling tugging at the corner of her lips.

"Then I would have killed you and your beta would have come and I would have killed him too." who then would lead your pack of warriors."

"You would." she said looking at me, a smile playing on her lips and I rolled my eyes I hated the way she found me amusing like I was a child or something.

"Do I look like I'm joking right now?" I asked her angrily

"No. But you know what amuses me the most? The fact that you're so certain you can kill me." She said and her smile broaden as she began to walk again.

God, I just want to punch her or something.

I walked fast to catch up, "like I said, I have my blood rage. One bite would be lethal."

"And what makes you think I would let you bite me? I am a warrior and I used to belong to a pack of Austan wolves. Do you think I have never had experience with wolves in blood rage? Do you think I have never fought with one? Killed one?" she asked looking at me with taunting eyes.

She had earlier agreed with me when I said I could kill her but in fact, she was messing with me, probably making fun of me in her head. Now she was trying to scare me? I refused to be scared.

"How did you kill them? Using the paralysis venom? That's a cowardly method." I said before noticing she had stopped walking and was staring at me in surprise.

"What?" I asked as I turned to face her.

"How do you know of the paralysis venom?" she asked.

"Because it's been used on me once." I said blankly.

"Is that why you...... entered blood rage?" she asked gesturing with her hand and I stared at her,

"Partially"

"How did you get healed?"

"You don't really believe I would tell you that, do you?" I asked, then turned around and continued the walk towards the camp.

It was not a question. It was me stating the fact that it was none of her business and she got the cue because by the time she started walking again, the smile was gone from her face and she was deep in thought.

I hated that knowing smile she always had on. That smile that seem to indicate that she knows something I don't, she had everything under control and that everything was working as she had planned. I hated it. It made my skin crawl and its absence gave me peace. I was not predictable, I didn't want to be.

.................................................................................................................

My scent must have set them off because they scurried to their feet as we got closer, and began to sniff the air and listen for the sound of my footsteps.

"Can you hear that?" I heard another unfamiliar voice say before the sound of cracking of bones.

Just great! They were shifting and preparing to fight.

Because I have been living as a predator for so long my scent must have been offensive indicating danger for them. It must have also overshadowed Adela's making them stand on edge. Adela didn't say a word, I doubted if she even heard them, she seem lost in her head.

The moment I stepped into the clearing that had a burning bond fire but no one, I saw something flying towards me and on reflex I stepped out of the way and then turn to see a white wolf summersault on the ground, whimpering as she did.

I then heard their growls and turned to look at the others, seven of them walking out from behind the trees that surrounded the clearing. A menacing look in their eyes.

Their growls made anger pulse through me. No one growls at me.

My eyes reddened as my fang and claws grew. A hunger burned from inside.

I was familiar with it now, it was the desire to shed blood. The wolves growled louder but I smelt their fear in the air. It was probably my eyes that scared them. I smiled internally knowing this was a lost war on their part.