CHAPTER 47

"Ramon, Ramon. Get out of there it's a trap!" I mind-linked Ramon but got no response.

"Ramon, can you hear me? Get out of there!" I screamed into the mind-link as I stared at the window through which he had gone in a second ago.

The guards left their position immediately and I knew they were going for Ramon. I couldn't just walk in there to save him without knowing the dangers within.

I would have mind-linked the others but since I wasn't officially one of their leaders, I couldn't just order them all at once, only Ramon could do that and now he was not reachable.

I myself could only mind-link one person at a time and they were all in strategic positions. It wouldn't do, I needed to get help myself.

So I stood up and hurried back to the border, shouting into the link hoping to reach one or two people but for some unknown reason, I couldn't reach anyone, the link was blocked.

"Stop!" Rieka suddenly ordered and I obeyed quickly, this made me trip onto the floor.

I was just a few feet from the borders and was so immersed in trying to reach out to the others, that I didn't hear the growls and shouts of people fighting.

"We've been ambushed?" I asked Rieka in shock.

"It's not just that. There is something in the air." She said and I sniffed the air quickly but the large amount of air I took in made me cough violently and had my head spinning.

"What the hell."

"Wolf bane." Rieka spat.

"In the air?" I asked with shock. We have practiced with a lot of things but not wolf bane. We didn't even know there was this kind of wolf bane.

What was it? vaporized wolf bane?

What kind of pack was this exactly?

"Quick, find something to cover your nose. Don't breathe in the air." Rieka ordered and I quickly nodded before tearing off the helm of my blouse and tying it around my nose.

"This kind of attack would be too shocking for the others. We have to help them." I said to Rieka before running off into the fight.

The whole place was a mess. There was blood everywhere, I stopped in my tracks taking the whole scene in as my eyes traced the battlefield. The pack warriors were fighting with our own dark knights. It was just like watching the dark knights fight after taking in that liquid fluid except they were being killed and wounded without mercy.

Wolf bane was actually more lethal to us wolves when compared to the mimicked fluid. It was just like silver, it burnt the skin and killed with immediate effect, so breathing it in was like drinking acid.

The pack warriors wore oxygen masks as they fought and that was understandable but what was more confusing was many of the pack wolves were in their wolf form but the wolf bane in the air still had no effect on them.

The only reason the dark knights were still able to fight back was because of the previous practice and the weapons at our disposal but even with our weapons, reflexes were still too slow and every once in a while someone fell to the ground coughing violently and vomiting blood.

I watched the fight which was a mixture of shouts, growls, and gunshots.

What on earth is going on? How was this pack so strong? How did they discover us?

"Seems like they were expecting you." Rieka stated and I immediately realized, that was the reason for the 'danger' feeling.

Why didn't I feel it when we were still at the border? We could have saved all our warriors from dying. I thought to myself before looking around again. I saw a fallen warrior and quickly tore the oxygen mask off his face. I then turned to the others.

"Don't breathe in the air. It's poisoned!" I screamed, and as if they were awoken from their slumber, our warriors began to fight harder.

This new strength earned me the attention of the enemy as they assumed I was the leader, they rushed towards me but this wasn't a problem for me.

I quickly put on the oxygen mask and leaped on the closest person slashing his throat with my claws before yanking his own mask off his face. He immediately began to choke and vomit blood. He was untrained in surviving this kind of environment after all.

I threw the mask to the dark knight warrior closest to me and rushed to the other enemy attacking not waiting for the warrior to wear it. The fight took pace from then on, the example I had made of the first warrior was what the other dark knights followed.

We fed them their own poison, doing nothing but stealing the mask from their faces and holding them still enough to breathe in the vaporized wolf bane.

I sighted one of the enemies in his wolf form staring at me viciously, I also turned to him, seizing up his sandy brown wolf fur, I was curious about their ability to not get affected by the wolf bane after all. I pulled out the small knife in my boots and threw it aiming for its stomach.

A few inches to the wolf's stomach, the knife bounced off a barrier and fell to the ground.

"Witches." Rieka spat and my mind went to the ones we knew.

"Those conniving witches. They give their services to the highest paying bidder, don't they?" I said to Rieka angrily as I watched the other wolf running towards me.

I turned to run away but Rieka stopped me,

"Let me!" She spat and I remembered she hated the witches, especially Rona but this wasn't the place or the right time.

"There is wolf bane in the air Rieka."

"And I am an Austan wolf." she said before taking control.