CHAPTER 39

"Rieka." I whispered with fear as I was pushed into the cage.

July had earlier gone into the cage to whisper something to the referee who frowned a little before announcing me versus someone whose name I have never heard of before. He called me the bloody Austan wolf from winter hollows.

Once in the cage, the little link that was left between Rieka and I was totally cut off and I felt empty. She was no longer here. There is only me now as there used to be in the past.

Did she die already? Did my wolf really die? I can't stay here, I have to get help for Rieka before it was too late.

I turned and ran to the gate of the cage and tried to force it open but it burnt my hands. I immediately retracted my hands in surprise,

It was real silver, this was truly a silver cage. They were putting werewolves in silver cages to fight.

I turned around to look at the faces around the cage just in case I saw any familiar faces from when Adela brought me to the lair after all Rosie said the leaders came here to choose followers.

As I looked at their faces, I saw that there weren't any, none of them looked like the people Adela had brought to me. They didn't even look like warriors of the lair, they all looked like barbarians who had a thirst for bloody fights.

How could I be so stupid to even think she would tell the truth about that when she lied about every other thing. Everything was a lie. Everything must have been a lie to trick me to come here.

I heard a loud clang and looked in its direction, which was the other end of the cage where another gate opens, and in came a group of hefty men. Five of them, with weapons.

My heart sank while the whole crowd cheered in excitement at the huge injustice. It was a death sentence.

The men smiled wickedly when they saw me and I felt like crying.

Is this where it ends? Is this where it really ends?

"Rieka!" I cried in my mind once again as I saw they spread out in the ring but heard nothing. It was as if she was never there.

"I'm sorry." I whispered, "I am really sorry Rieka."

She was right, she has been right all along, if she was the one in charge Layla would never have been able to do what she had done to me. Rieka would have seen through her, just as she saw through Rosie but I didn't listen, now losing Rieka was a price I was going to pay.

She had always called me weak, and she was right. I was weak and lazy, I had wasted all her effort time and time again. I had refused to listen to her when all she had done was watch out for me. If I ever get out of this I was going to stop treating her like she was my bane and accept her. I was really going to accept her as my wolf because I loved her. And for her sake and both of our sake, I am not going down without a fight.

I heard the clang of a metal that indicates the start of the fight and I clenched my two fists and took a fighting stance ready to throw as many punches as I could before these men killed me. I heard laughter from all around me. They were probably laughing at how miserable I looked standing in front of five men with large knives.

The first man turned to the other men laughing and said something that I couldn't hear since I drank that juice, my senses have weakened and so have my strength, as of now, I am sure that I was weaker than even the weakest wolf.

He walked to the edge of the cage and set his long knife against the silver rail of the cage before walking to stand in front of me, his hands spread wide apart and a smile on his face, while the others stood far behind him watching, making no attempt to involve themselves in the fight.

Since he didn't make an attempt to attack first, I did without hesitating, I ran to him and aimed to punch his face, desiring to wipe off the annoying smirk he had on but he ducked and landed a punch on my abdomen.

I doubled over as air was forcefully pushed out of my lungs but before I could regain my composure, he grabbed my hair that I had tied to a bun. He grabbed it so hard my scalp felt like it was on fire. I clawed at his hands as the pain was disorientating my mind but he wasn't bothered because he paraded me around the ring for everyone to see.

The crowd screamed in excitement, taking pleasure in my pain and the tears that rolled down my cheek, he then punched me right in the face, breaking my delicate nose.

Blood spilled as he let go of me and I fell face down to the ground, swallowing a large number of my own blood. I looked up amidst the blood and dizziness of my mind towards the door through which I had been dragged into the cage and began to drag myself there, crawling on the floor.

As I did, a scene similar to this one flashed in my mind causing blood to rush to my brain. I groaned at the sudden rush as the scene played out, the only difference between this was that the previous scene had happened in a no man's land with the only spectator being Layla and the man I had called my mate.

Anger awakened from somewhere deep inside me and I clenched my fist in pain at the suddenness and rush of it but just as I was busy fighting my own demons, the man kicked me in the same abdomen he had earlier punched.

I rolled over and my back hit the bottom rail of the silver cage, it burned into my skin and I screamed, rolling away as fast as I could but the man pulled me up by the hair again and dragged me back to the silver rails, he then held the back of my neck and pushed my face against the silver rails, The skin of my face and hair burnt with a sizzling sound, my screams were covered by the sound of the cheering crowd and loud music.

I continued screaming my lungs out helplessly shutting my eyes as anger and pain exploded in my mind and it seemed like a part of me was about to lose consciousness and at the same time another part was awakening, about to take control, total control.

The man left me and I fell to the ground feeling half dead but somehow stronger than I have ever felt. I lay there motionless trying to understand, trying to understand what was happening within.

I was feeling the anger and rage pulse and rush through my veins as I had once felt in winter hollows when Rieka had first given me the reigns. It flowed to my palm and my claw grew as if in response, it flowed to my brain and the pain was suddenly blocked out.

My mind felt clear, clearer than it had ever been but with one goal.

Kill them all.

*** you know the popular saying about how you don't value what you have until you lose it, well our girl is going through that now!

facing life's battles and one's inner demons alone is not a pretty sight I tell you.

like and comment.