64. Just Another Tuesday

Noah POV

Things have been awfully tense between my mothers since last week and for the love of god I could not put my finger on what exactly happened between the both of them. After lunchtime, with Ashley had been crotchety in art class, she often raised her voice at the students and critiqued their work in unfair ways and Eliza was somehow worse in the afternoons and evenings, she was demanding of me in the slightest ways more than usual, though she could never deny that my work was good, more than good actually. 

I had been perfecting my craft in designing clothes now that my mothers were fighting again, I tended to my passion in art and fashion alike by running away from home in the communicative hours of our day at home, often in the treehouse at my mamo's home or taking my motorbike to the art museum alone. 

No one seemed to ask of my whereabouts when I would travel places alone as an eleven-year-old boy. jean didn't think much positively when she caught me skipping school today to avoid my mother. "Going somewhere?" a little voice asks behind me.

I turn around to see her flaming hair first before the rest f her face in all its curly texture and the layered bangs. It was certainly different and not like I had seen yesterday and she changed up the standard pendant she wore from her mother, this time she had on a choker and I knew her. I knew Jean. She never changed up her jewelry, she liked to wear the same pieces for weeks on end and would rotate them but this was something different.

The pearl choker had a sapphire in the middle bringing the strands of pearls together and a little J dangling in pure white gold. She wore a black velvet overall dress with a white mesh blouse underneath and platform sneakers. Adorable. I thought. 

"I'm blowing this popsicle stand, wanna come?"

"No, Noah! I have music class, and you have art with aunt Ashley, come back!" She beckoned. 

i walked closer toward her invading her personal space, taller than her, looking down with a smirk. "I'm sure the band could do without their best violinist today. I'm not staying around one of my cranky mothers until they get themselves together."

"What makes you think I'd come with you?" She asked. 

"Because you have nothing else better to do and besides, we all know I'm the one who has more fun around here. You think my sister could do half the things I do?"

"How did you--"

"You're so hard headed Jean. I am not going to force you to stop talking to my sister. . . Just like I'm not going to make you come with me but if you'd like to have a little bit of fun, come with me." After all, what was the point of being one of the children of the richest people in the country? It had to have it's perks somewhere, I hardly think this would cause us some trouble. 

Mamo would say I was a natural Kevin McCallister from Home Alone. I thought nothing good about that and only to say I was my own person, never like anyone else but myself. 

She sighed, running her fingers through her curls and got them caught in her locks just as quickly. "Fine," She grumbled. 

I helped Jean detangle her fingers from her hair and took her hand, grabbing my jacket from my locker. The kids from my first day of school also were coming down the hall, they looked at me with and i looked back at them, locking eyes with my bullies. "Stay back," I warned Jean. 

"Hey Robinson, we're not done with you." The boy said. 

I dug in my pocket and felt for my pocket knife. "Hold my jacket and wait right down the hall for me."