Chapter 7 : Six of Us

Jaemin was a man who was never late or never wanted to, so when he was stuck in traffic it bummed him out a bit. Soon the streets began to clear, and he had passed by the accident, there were no police and only the people involved. He couldn’t make out what was happening, but he saw in a glimpse that they crashed into a convenience store. Jaemin didn’t put much thought into it, and drove towards the preschool before he could become any more late.

He managed to arrive only a few minutes late by passing the speed limit only slightly, there were no cops around so if no one saw it, nothing happened. As he walked in, he wondered if they called a substitute and looked through the glass window once he made it to his classroom. They had called one. Jaemin knocked before opening the door, he was confused as to why they weren’t talking or playing around like usual when he was there. The children were only walking slowly, along with the substitute who seemed like a middle-aged man. It was until he created a sound, the children and the sub stopped moving, and turned their heads to look at him.

Is.. something going on?

Jaemin noticed the gash in a young girls head, a boy with a piece of his arm holding onto its last string of flesh, the sub was covered in bites, torn through his clothes. He heard screaming.

Nana!! Help!

A girl. He could hear it coming from the closet on the other side of the classroom, he didn’t know what was going on. Were they pulling a prank?

Hey, you can stop now. I’m a scaredy-cat, they know that..

Jaemin reached out to the substitute, who swung his arm at him and ripped through his sleeve but managed to not scratch his skin. He realized the makeup looked too real, and the blood and gore were also too realistic. He shut the door. If they weren’t joking, and this was really happening, he needed to retrieve the child stuck in the closet. They probably had weapons in the teachers lounge. As he ran down the hall, he could hear his students hitting the door until he arrived at his destination, he couldn’t see anyone through the window but he was sure they were in there. Jaemin unlocked the door with his key, and pushed open the door with a small creak. He searched under desks and each teachers individual office, then he walked into the principals room and looked beneath the desk, he found a metal bat. Of course, he wasn’t expecting useful like a gun or anything. This is a preschool. He found matches, and took the fire extinguisher, which could be used. When he walked back to his classroom, they were the same as before, moving slowly and groaning every time they bumped into each other. The matches were in his pocket, less than half of the bat shoved into his pants while he prepared the fire extinguisher. He took a deep breath. He was going to try to not hurt his kids. They’re his kids. His students. The ones who looked up at him and smiled every morning he entered the classroom. He knew they didn’t know what they were doing.

He opened the door. Immediately he pulled the pin and aimed the hose nozzle to block their way, most of them were covered before he lunged it at the substitute who fell back. Jaemin ran towards the closet, opening the door to see one of his students crouching on the ground with her hand clutching an injury on her arm. He quickly threw her over his shoulder, holding her with his left hand and the bat with his right. The fuzz began to sizzle down, the students began to see him just as he was near the door, he still had one more thing to do. Jaemin knocked one in the head, his body flying and knocking a few other students. It hurt doing injuring them. He opened the door and shoved the bat back in his pants, grabbing the matches and sliding one into the wooden door, then lighting one of the little ones who ran at him by her shirt. He closed the door, watching as she ran around and other items and students catching flame.

Jaemin looked at the girl he held, she was unconscious, he needed to find safety somewhere other than here.

There were better situations to be in. Like having another normal day. And there were also worse situations, instead of being followed by adults who looked like his students while holding a child, running towards any place to hide out. Yelling for help probably wasn’t the best thing to do. It seemed to be effective, he saw a few men running out of an apartment building with guns. It was until he saw them aim at him, he stopped running.